View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Bitter Lessons: Is anything wrong? 
All-star
All-star

Wow! ok i am behind on my reading.... lots to catch up on tonight and tomorrow... but anyway.... this article is good. One thing I'm not so sure about is how things are wrong with teachers. It is more like the laws and expectations of the government. Some teachers aren't very good, but even the ones that are often have ridiculous unreachable expectations to meet. :evil: WE have let our society base school on a few main subjects and taken away some things that will benefit later in life to help our country grow in comparison to other countries instead of worrying about each idividual student.

Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:52 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I think that is sometimes why teachers are so bad....is because they have so much material to get through and so little time. They arent given enough time to properly teach their students. I agree that society has taken the more important things needed to learn and added some really boring things that could have easily been left out. Teachers are only allowed to teach the boring stuff because its on the end of grade tests.

Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:58 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel withboth of you. I don't believe the teachers are the ones that are bad. It is the restrictions that are placed on theby the government (state and national), the school board and school administrators. They regulate what we teach. Most cirriculums now are state mandated. This is what to teach and this how to teach it. I think teachers are doing a great job because if theywere not people like us wouldn't be going into this profession and we would never be were we are today.

Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:17 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe that one would have to have experience in the teaching field in order to relate to this article more so than just a college student with no experience teaching in the classroom. A lot of Gatto's points that he makes in the article are established through his experience as a teacher. But there are several points in the article that I do agree on- despite my experience. Teachers are often looked down upon and are never given the credit that they deserve. Personally, I have friends who tell me all the time that I shouldn't be in teaching, because there is not money ---- personally, I am not worried so much about the money -- but the personal freedom does concern me. I do agree strongly with Gatto's statement that, "Teaching who you are leads toward wholeness - in yourself as well as your student." (p.6) Teachers sometimes forget that who they are as a person and what emotions, etc. they might be going through at their time in their life does affect their students. We must all take that into consideration when we start our lives as teachers!!

You teach who you are.

Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:47 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I feel that the restrictions are what makes teachers have 'no soul' at the end of the year/time teaching.
However. I feel that if you put your heart and soul into your teaching then you will get your heart and soul from teaching. I find the more effort I put into things, the more i get out of it: mentally and literally. When I am doing something i enjoy, i always put more effort into it. If teaching isn't something you enjoy...you are probably not going to put your heart and soul into it. Speaking of restrictions: yeah..we have restrictions. But do we throw our hands up and say...who cares or do we deal with the facts and made the best of it? I say make the best of it. Children should not suffer because we are bitter about the rules.

Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]