View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Photos 
All-star
All-star

I couldn't help but to wonder, as I was reviewing the photo's, whether or not those people really deserved to hang? Were they indeed guilty or were they innocent, and if they were guilty.... Did I agree with hanging as a fair punishment?

What are your views on hanging or the death penalty as being a fair punishment?

Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:56 am
All-star
All-star

The death penalty is a topic that is in much debate. Every year some political person says something about it. I belive that the answer to the question of right or wrong has to lie within each individual. Many people base their morals on religion. Others on society. Some believe do unto others as you would want them to do unto you. This statement is two fold. This person killed someone so I guess that person wants to be killed. But if some one kills him then does that person need to be killed also. I don't know how i really feel about it. I don't appose the governments decision to kill people. All I have to say is that if someone came into my house and killed someone that I loved or even tried to I would damn well do everything in my pwoer to kill that person and ask God to have mercy on our souls.

P.S. I thought those pictures were really disturbing.

Thu Jan 29, 2004 4:28 pm
All-star
All-star

I can't decide how I feel about the death penalty. I feel that we are just as bad if we kill someone for killing someone. It doesn't even out. some may argue God said an Eye for an Eye. However, looking at context: it says 'some say an eye for an eye.' that means...God didn't say it, He was just repeating, well Jesus was. Also...we are not put on this earth to judge...but then there is the delima: are people going to keep killing people because there is no punishment. I don't mean to bring religion into everything BUT ..that is who i am.
;-)

Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:35 pm
All-star
All-star

I hate to say it, but just for the sake of continuing thought on the matter... THESE PICTURES ARE NOT ABOUT THE DEATH PENALTY!!!!! They are about socal injustice geared towa5rd a particular race. That is why we are looking at them.. We are going to discuss race as a factor in education. Race has been, is, and will be a factor in schools (especially in school politics) for ever!!!! We must be sensitive about race issues, but at the same time cannot look away from them. The fact of the matter is that we know that linchings happened, but now we are faced with seeing the evdence. Our classes reaction only tells me that we are all shocked and amazed, which probably means that we are either LYING or that we have liver VERY SHELTERED lives!!!!! These pictures, however disturbing, should be treated as a learning tool! They are intended to spring board is into race issues as they relate to education. As far as i can tell, this is something that many of us could use some extra research into before we can have a good deep meaningful conversation on Race and education.

Tue Feb 03, 2004 9:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]