View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Movie Study 
All-star
All-star

Watching clips of those guys giving electric shocks to a guy that "has a heart condition" really disturbed me. The expierment itself disgusted me, but what was even worse was realizing the conclusion... When I higher authority is giving a command... most people obey the order. If you were under extreme pressure by a higher authority, even though you knew it was wrong, do you think you would obey?

Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:06 pm
All-star
All-star

The easy answer would be no. But the honest answer is I have no clue. We are taught from childhood to respect our elders. This, once we get to school, translates into listening to teachers and administrators. When we get a job, we are to follow the directions of our supervisors. A good person does what he is told. Is that not what we were taught. I guess that this is my way of saying that it would take a lot to get anyone of us to disobey an authority figure.

Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:26 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't know how I would have responded to that experiment.
It is surprising that 50% of people would continue to follow directions.

I think it has a lot to do with the trust we establish with authority figures. We trust government representatives to make decisions on our behalf, we believe what doctors, judges, and army commanders tell us.
In reality- they don't always know everything/ they don't always know what is best. Dependence and obedience goes hand in hand.

Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:45 am
All-star
All-star

It is hard to say. I in a way think that they might have had a clue that something was going on.
I think that they also knew that it wasn't their responsibility. I would say that we all have jobs and know what it is like to do something that we dn't want to do. But this is a moral issue....what do you do?

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]