View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 11:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Politically CORRECT? 
All-star
All-star

PC, meaning Politically Correct, is it neccessary? I mean is it always "right" to be PC? MUST we really say "I mean I thought this way was SOOO wrong, oh oh, but yes of course THIS SIDE ALLLLSSOOO had some good points" !??! I mean come on, has the educational system become so PC that we can't simply state how we feel?! I thought the video was intensely and sadly RIGHT ON. It showed the stereotypical levels of our socio-economic culture didn't it? The video wanted us to identify with each of these different people, and we did in some way "know" each one of them by identifying someone in our own lives to represent them. I think most of us have set opinions of groups of people whether we want to admit it or not. Maybe we know it's wrong and sad, and ignorant to think or feel it, but most of us DO STEREOTYPE! It's true, even if we "know exceptions to the stereotype." I feel that it has become deeply rooted in American pop culture. Demographics! Cartoon charaters! Simple adjectives in the first grade! Think about it, as soon as we're born, we are taught to categorize similar people having the same characteristics. If only we could be truly honest with each other, imagine what we could know! Or is it better to be tactful and PC?

Help me understand,

Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:53 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I agree with you some things are so deeply rooted in our american pop culture. Sterotyping does occur along with some degree of racism, each to his own. Society today is so don't tread on me or I'll sue you. Everyone tries to be sooooo nice and all they do is look fake and then that turns out to offend someone more than if you were truely honest. Everyone does sterotype and is racists to a degree but it is how we let those things affect us and or actions is what really counts. All we have to do is stay true to ourselves and to each other and when ever something happens that you don't agree with just learn to grow form it.

Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:24 am
All-star
All-star

Your absolutely right! Do we forfiet our opinions so that someone doesn't feel bad. I can't believe we have become so wratpped up in being politicaly correct that we feel bad for feeling the way we do.
It almost has manifested itself so big that people can't even share their faith and beliefs about God because we will hurt someone else's feelings. i am guilty of it. I have come to respect others beliefs so much that i fail to share mine. I am glad someone pointed that out!
thanks

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:35 pm
All-star
All-star

I love the show "Politically Incorrect with Bill Mahr" because the celebrities or politicians just get on there and spill their guts. I hate being politically correct, but I know that with teaching, I am going to have to be, and it just irks me. Yes I am female, but if I am reading an article and there is not a gender, so the author uses "he," I don't really care. That's not what the article is about, so why is it a big deal!

Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:03 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]