View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Internship 
All-star
All-star

I've just started my internship for my methods class at North Wilkes High School. It was so weird being back in the hallways of a high school. I felt like every students was starring at me as I was going through the hallways. The classes that I have are all U.S. History, which I'm happy about. However, I'm so nervous because eventually I have to teach these classes sometime during the semester. I'm so worried that the kids won't listen or that I can't just teach. Anyone have any suggestions for me or any encouragement?

Sun Feb 15, 2004 1:53 pm
All-star
All-star

Brandon, I do not have any advice. What I can tell you is that from the comments you make in our class and from the postings you leave on the forum, your intelligence reflects a thoughtful, interesting guy that I'd love to sit in a classroom and hear lecture. I think you are an original thinker which makes for a great teacher, in my experience. If you can trust yourself and be your own friend, the kids will actually find you very interesting. It seems you have a genuine interest in history that will be contagious if you just approach it the way you approach this forum.

Good luck!

This class gives me plenty of doubts about my own ability in the school system. I think that once you get to know your students everything will get more comfortable. I wish you the best.

... dare I say, "Keep us posted... :wink: "
waaa- waaaa-whaaaa- (that's supposed to be one of those lame music sounds... for a very lame comment;-)

Wed Feb 18, 2004 2:00 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with Genivieve. Your enthusiasm will transfer to them. If you enjoy history as much as u say, then your teaching will reflect that. That is what i am scared of. Especially coming into the classroom mid year when that teacher has already established the mood of that room. How do you go in and enforce rules you do not agree with? It doesn't make sense. However, ASU has always given a good base for teachers. Its all about confidence and classroom management. You could stand up and tell them something isn't true...you have more credibility if you are confident.
Good luck!

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:04 pm
All-star
All-star

There is only one regret i had during my first day of internship. The teacher is a nice guy, but he and i really didn't make a connection. When i came in i expected an enthused teacher happy that i was doing my internship in his classroom, however this was not the case. He just shook my hand, said i could sit down at his desk and observe from there. That was the last contact i had with him until the class was over. He didn't even give me a chance to introduce myself to the classroom. I already had my speech prepared. I knew exactly what i was going to say about myself and i wanted to aquaint myself with the students. But the teacher didn't even give me a chance. To the students i looked like total stranger, sitting at their teacher's dance while looking around the classroom. I really wish i could have introduced myself(at least to break the ice with the kids) bc the next time i come back i'm still a stranger to them

Wed Feb 18, 2004 3:27 pm
All-star
All-star

i to am starting an internship this semester, but i think that mine will be a little eassier in a since....i am doing elemetary, so all i have to do is win them over the first day or two and i will be OK......i the case of high school kids all i can say is be yourself and it is very important to let them know that your in charge but on the other hand they also need to be comfortable with the situation....good luck and try to make it fun for yourself and your students....

Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:25 am
All-star
All-star

I went to North Wilkes High School -- so if you need anything Brandon let me know!! Its kind of crazy in Traphill -- !! :o) Hope everything goes well!!

Thu Mar 04, 2004 10:04 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I had that same methods class last semester- I learned so much from my internship at West Caldwell HS. I found most of the students in the classes I observed were really good kids-but sometimes they didn't want to work, didn't want to pay attention, and were bored. That's why its important to grab their attention at the beginning of class/ and choose activities that are fun.

My best advice for the day you teach the class:
Plan enough to fill the entire class period, 90 minutes is longer than you might think.

Plan activities that take the focus off of you-and will involve the entire class. For example: group work, discussion, art work (in world history- students made a booklet about the Trojan War using poems, drawings, descriptions, symbols- the results were most impressive).

Don't make the content too complicated. Too many names and dates are confusing for students. Make sure they understand the main ideas.

I wish you the best of luck! And have fun with it!

Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]