View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 culture of power 
All-star
All-star

Rule 2: There are codes or rules for participating in power; that is, there is a "culture of power."
The book says this is about the clothes you wear and the way you walk, talk and write. Im realiting this to being rich and snobby. And with refence to the video if you didnt do something a certain way or dressed different from other rich people then others did look down upon you. If your rich, we must hold our heads high, and never talk to the lower class people. I just thought it was funny that there are rules to having cultural power. And its sad that you have to be rich and stuck up to think that you have any power in this world. If a rich person can vote and I can vote then i think they have no more power than i do. I think thats one of the biggest's way to obtain power by voting.

Tue Feb 17, 2004 4:36 pm
All-star
All-star

I like Stephanie's post because the vote is our power in this system.

When Clinton was elected, I walked about 40 blocks to and from work on pretty days and I'd inevitably pass alot of homeless people. It bothered me so much that these human beings were living their lives on the street. One old man used to get drunk periodically. I saw him on and off for close to three years. Each year his battered face got worse. He had the sweetest disposition - but, I just couldn't stand what I believed to be their invisibility factor. I called the Board of Voters Registration to find out if homeless people could vote. The woman told me that if a person can receive mail somewhere and can enter that address on the voters registration form, that would enable a person to vote. So I spoke with my church administrator. Our church hosted a homeless dinner on Tuesday nights. He granted me permission to let us use the church address for people. He'd let them get mail there, too, if that happened.

My boss let me post a sign in our elevator that anyone could register to vote in our office. Between my friend, our church administrator and myself, we got over 300 people registered to vote. When I heard Maya Angelou deliver her incredible poem at Clinton's inauguration speech, I felt so much a part of that event. Whether or not one liked Clinton matters less to me than whether or not we exercise that one privilege that does help define Democracy - even in our system - it's very symbolic and significant.

Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]