View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:39 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Bill Bigelow 
All-star
All-star

What do you all think of the teacher the we read about, Bill Bigelow? I think he is an experienced teacher with a great/ inspiring perspective on teaching. He said his main goal is to have students leave his class believing that history can be interesting. Shouldn't that be the goal of all teachers- that their class and subject are interesting and meaningful to the students? I like that he advises teachers not to try and "cover" all of U.S. history (or any topic, for that matter). It doesn't help anyone to have a fact-rich/ idea-poor curriculum. I know I still have a lot of meaningless facts floating around in my head from all those years of memorizing!

I also really like the use of Role-Play and Simulation in the classroom. It helps students to have a deeper understanding. Just a few weeks ago we used Role-Play and Simulation in my Senior Seminar History class- we simulated Peacetalks discussing the reopening of the University in Pristina in Kosovo. In my class we divided into groups each representing groups involved in the conflict:Serbs, Albanians, the KLA, Peacekeepers, etc. I understood the conflict in Kosovo so much better after this activity.

I was also impressed with Bill Bigelow's method of teaching global capitalism- (from his article "The Human Lives Behind the Labels"). Just reading the article made me more interested in the topic- I'll probably search my house when I'm finished typing to see where everything was made.

What do you all think about global capitalism? Does the success of capitalism for one country/group of people ALWAYS coincide with the exploitation/ oppression of another?

Wed Feb 18, 2004 6:29 pm
All-star
All-star

I think Mr. Bigelow is a great inspiration to all teachers, not just socail studies or other things in that category. The fact that he actually takes time out of the normal day and has the students role play is a great thing in my opinion. I feel that we as teachers are required to teach too many facts in too little time. We don't have the time to teach the students how they should/need to be taught. It is like we have to rebel against the school curriculum to even TEACH. The fact that he has enthusiasm is a huge positive. Many teachers are dried up and set in their ways teaching to the "test". He seems totally opposite. I'm sure he covers enough information for his students to do well on the "test", but he also covers some topics with extreme focus. I hope to be able to teach just like Bill Bigelow says he has taught his entire career. :D

Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:28 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]