View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Lesson on Capitalism 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am extremely impressed by Bill Bigelow's approach to teaching students about sweat shops and capitalism. The soccer ball was ingenius. Man, that's one of those topics that certainly needs to be presented to students in order to spark change, but it can also be a scary one to get close to. There are a lot of ignorant "set in their ways" types out there who encourage their children to be the exact same way. The writings that the students did around the lesson were absolutely amazing and profound. I only hope to come up with an approach half as effective as Bigelow's. I learned alot about capitalism just from reading the article. Great stuff.

Tate Way

Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:32 pm
All-star
All-star

Bill Bigelow approaches teaching in such a creative, open-minded manner. He is inspiring and though my plan is to teach the youngest of students - I love that he lets the flow of student interest direct his own decisions, when possible. I cannot imagine a student being overlooked, feeling ignored and really misunderstood in a class like he describes. I think he'd be interested enough that even the shy students would find a voice in his classroom.

And he's guiding students into an awareness that I believe will serve them throughout their entire lives to be activists. Activists participate in society and I think THAT is what public school should be about.

Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:27 pm
All-star
All-star

I to am impressed with his teaching methods. Wouldn't it be great if Bill Bigelow taught a methods class her at App?

Have any of you had an App teacher with such outstanding techniques?

Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:24 pm
All-star
All-star

I to am impressed with his teaching methods. Wouldn't it be great if Bill Bigelow taught a methods class her at App?

Have any of you had an App teacher with such outstanding techniques?

Sun Mar 21, 2004 7:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]