View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 America: Land of Disillusionment 
All-star
All-star

Is anyone out there disillusioned with America? I certainly am. I recently watched Bowling for Columbine by Michael Moore, which only added to my disillusionment with America. I know that we have discussed school violence before, but I would like to briefly return to the subject. Why does school violence happen? Michael Moore attempts to tackle this question in Bowling for Columbine, and dispite his explicit politcal agenda, brings up a crucial point. Americans are dominated daily by fear. In the United States we manufacture fear in great proliferation. Who are the manufacturers? The media, the government and all its institutions, and ultimately each and every individual that allows themselves to be dominated by fear. In an interview with Michael Moore South Park co-creator Matt Stone, a former student and alumni of Columbine High School, mentions that as early as the sixth grade he was coerced by the school administration into thinking that if he did not succeed in the sixth grade that he would be doomed to live a worthless life. No pressure there, right? It is this kind of fear that leads to school violence. Perhaps those two young students that were responsible for the tragedy at Columbine felt that pressure too. This brings up a good point. How do we control students in public schools? Do we not contrl them by fear? Do they obey the rules of the school because they agree with them or do they obey because the FEAR the consequences? Do they come to school every day because they want to or because they FEAR what will happen if they do not? Ask yourself why you obeyed your teachers? Were you AFRAID of the consequences of failure or punishment? Students are afraid, and fear leads to frustration. Frustrated students find outlets for their emotions, and as waas the case with Eric and Dylan at Columbine, sometimes this results in school violence. If we seriously want to end school violence we must stop ruling our students and our fellow Americans with fear. You may call me a radical but I believe that what is necessary for this to happen is a fundamental change in American mentality. Think about it. Isn't it time to stop living in fear. Don't our students have enough to worry about without having to wonder if they will be shot in their classrooms? It is up to all of us to end the tyranny and oppression of fear.

Sun Feb 29, 2004 11:59 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't know if I would go so far to say that I am disillusioned with America, but I definitely agree with your statement that fear is very much embedded in our society. It is a great struggle: Fear and Competition versus Love-Unconditional Love, and Acceptence.

Your right, Michael- fear/competition is seen in many aspects of life: competition for jobs, fear of losing your job, fear of unacceptance, fear of failure/embarrassment, etc. But I argue that LOVE is also a part of many aspects of life, especially personal/ family life.

As for violence in schools, or anywhere else, I think a major problem is how our culture defines masculinity. Men are supposed to be tough, respected, in control, and dominant. As a result they become "emotionally illiterate" and resort to violence as their only emotional outlet. Most violence- 90%- is inflicted by men. And the mass media perpectuates this harm by reinforcing cultural norms associated with masculinity.

I think the only way to bring about this change in mentality as you mentioned is to challenge fear with the presence of unconditional acceptance, love, and cooperation. Only by the means of love, and acceptence are we able to survive in a WORLD filled with fear.

Tue Mar 02, 2004 6:51 pm
All-star
All-star

This is wild, there are so many things being touched on in this topic. I don’t know how to start. I don’t know about disillusionment in America, but I have to agree that we are a culture built on fear. But I also think that fear gets a bad rep. Think about all the decisions we make in our life. Most are governed by fear. When we get pulled over, we stop, why? Because it is our patriotic duty? Nope, we know that if we don’t, we will get tracked down, and arrested, and if we combat that, eventually that police officer will flog or even shoot us. We do things because we fear the consciences of our actions. If I don’t go to class, I fail, and I am afraid of that. If I don’t work hard now, I will have a harder life in the future, and I fear that. If I don’t talk to my mother once a week on the phone, I fear her wrath.
My point is: the degree of fear is what is important. Children need to know the honest consequences of their actions; not the worst case scenario. Making a poor grade on a test is not going to send my future down the toilet. Not everyone in the school is packing heat. There are people out there who care for them, and care about what happens to them. Children also need to know the better side of their decisions. If I go to class, I pass, and if I study, I can make good grades. If I work hard now, and don’t procrastinate, my future is open and bright. If I call my mom, I will have a pleasant conversation and she may send a care package my way. This is the way to look at the world without fear, even though it is there.
About love, I could not agree more.

Wed Mar 03, 2004 12:35 am
All-star
All-star

I'm gonna have to agree with Zack on this one. We just kind of need to be open about the real consequences of actions. So yeah...and love is a good thing. I basically agree with what Zack said, I just wanted to bust up in here and say that A) we're never going to be able to eliminate fear. Fear doesn't just exist in our society, and it has always existed throughout time. Always.
Also, (point B, if you will), I don't think we should blame America for a couple of teenagers who went crazy. I think that the whole of the nation was fairly abhorred at the situation, which indicates that most of society realizes the difference between right and wrong. Basically, there was something mentally wrong with those kids. Society may have had an impact on them, as society has an impact on everyone...but those kids had something in them that made them kill. I knew plenty of kids in high school that got picked on or felt alienated. None of them ever brought a firearm to school that I am aware of.
However, to end on a positive note...I'm gonna have to say that the idea of love is definately a way to solve problems, and once again always has been. The more love we show to our fellow man, the more love is returned and therefore is abound in society.

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:29 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that for the most part, we should look, as Zack pointed out at pointing out the more positive aspects of life. This relates to a few other posts as well. If we present the positive aspects of going to class, doing your work, and things of this nature, then we, in my opinion will be better teachers. It is a little more difficult to emphasize the positives and to reward instead of punish, but I think that it is a better way. This may eliminate some of the fear, if not in the world, then at least in our classrooms. I think that it is important to remember that this country, however disillusioned in it we may be, is ours, and is full of opportunity. We have the ability, especially as teachers and in our societal status, to ake great changes in our nation. I think that I am an optimistic pessimist. I do not like what I see, and am not happy with the state of my life, our naion, or the world, but I see the possibility to change, and progress. I think that (and I am sorry that this sounds so cliche) we should embrace the opportunity that we have as teachers to make ur studets feel free in our classrooms, and help them make the adjustments to society so that maybe they may not have to live in fear. It may not happen, and they may live like we do, but we can try to create one positive fear free moment in just one person's life.

Tue Mar 09, 2004 8:44 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]