View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 A Question of Morals 
All-star
All-star

I know that we haven’t really discussed this in any of our discussions, but what do you think should be a teacher's stance on the moral in his/her classroom? I remember a debate over whether teachers have the right or the responsibly to teach morals to today’s youth. Are parents the ones who should teach children morals? What moral should be taught? Who decides? Just thought that I would ask the group and see what everyone thinks.

Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:33 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel we should make sure they understand morals enough to stay out of trouble. We have to make sure they know the laws of the land and what is seen as being right and wrong by the people in charge. We do have to remember that we have to leave "religion" and "morals" separate.

Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:32 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

When I was in first grade, our teacher told us about the Golden Rule. I liked it then, I like it now. It's simplicity is sort of the bedrock of an ethical standard. Our nation was founded on some profound principles that teach independent thinking and responsibility. Those two qualities - in my mind, imply an ethical standard, if one believes in civilization. To believe in civilization, one - it seems to me - must believe in an ethical foundation for its structure.

I agree that it is our responsibility to educate. Education includes laws, rules, standards - expectations within various professions or within a variety of settings. Morality is a complicated issue with judgement and standards that can be as individual as the many individuals that we teach. Gees... Though I know the distinctions in my mind between the first paragraph and this one - I fear I'm not quite communicating it. Religion and religious studies have a great place in Education. Teaching the dogma and rigidity of one religious faith as the "Absolute Truth" in a public, non-religious setting is proslytizing. It seems it's just a babystep behind the very religious imprisonment our Founding Fathers worked so incredibly hard to escape - and to safeguard against.

Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Has anyone heard of character education? It is supposed to be a part of homeroom. Can this not be considered teaching morals?

Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:06 pm
All-star
All-star

What I think is important is that we pose ethical questions to our students so that they will question themselves and establish their own system of beliefs. It is not as much of teaching morals and values as it is alowing a venue through which our students can explore themseves and decide what it is they believe in. When I was in high school, I was asked a lot of questions about my beliefs and my morals and things like that. At first I said what I thought the person wanted to hear, or what I thought was socially acceptable, but what I realized was that I didn't know exactly what I believed in, or why I believed in that particular thing. It is taking that initiative to provide a secure environment in which our students can explore their beliefs and grow as a person that is our job. We must educate our students. You would not send a student into the "real world" without a set of morals any less than you would without knowledge of the alphabet.

Tue Mar 09, 2004 11:45 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that when it comes to morals, we need to encourage students to formulate their own views in healthy and sensible ways. There are certain issues I believe I'll use my common sense in conveying what I believe. But there are many issues in which I certainly won't be telling them how to think or feel. I believe it's my responsibility to expose truths, and from there on it's there own deal.

Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that when it comes to morals, we need to encourage students to formulate their own views in healthy and sensible ways. There are certain issues I believe I'll use my common sense in conveying what I believe. But there are many issues in which I certainly won't be telling them how to think or feel. I believe it's my responsibility to expose truths, and from there on it's there own deal.

Wed Mar 17, 2004 3:28 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't think that morals should be confused with religion. Basic morals are things that most everybody would agree are important. This included things such as kindness and honesty. I see no downfall to teaching morals simply because of what morals are. I do, however, wonder how effective it would be to teach students morals. Students have some sort of foundation when they come to school and it cannot just be changed.

Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:42 pm
All-star
All-star

I also think it is important for students to develop and adopt their own morals, but I think as teachers we influence students a quite bit. Think of the "hidden curriculum." Is there sometype of morals there? As teachers I think we share ourselves with our students; it is like we are almost teaching about ourself, I guess we just have to be careful of the amount and content we share :lol:

Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]