View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 No Child Left Behind 
All-star
All-star

I want to know what ya'll think about Bush's No Child Left Behind policy that is now in place and was based on what we had here in NC.

Thu Mar 04, 2004 3:04 pm
All-star
All-star

I think "The No Child Left Behind" has excellent roots, but no two children are the same. I hope NC will realize that our children each have their own ability and rate of learning. This policy only seems to punish those who are having the trouble in school.

One thing is for sure this policy will keep us as teachers in check.

Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:46 pm
All-star
All-star

No Child Left Behind has its advantages, but it also has its disadvantages. In one particular case, the parents of a student could take advantage of No Child Left Behind by moving their child to a different school, because they may have a better sports team than the high school they attend now. Even though the child is part of the % that excelled, the parents can move their child (the school has not passed the requirements for No Child Left Behind). This scenario is not fair to the school or the child. The child excels, but because the school as a whole does not pass -- it makes it okay for the student to change schools. I believe there should be something in No Child Left Behind to fix situations such as this.

Sat Apr 03, 2004 8:25 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

"No Child Left Behind" still perplexes me because I know I do not know enough about it. I do know that a nephew and niece of mine who have struggled academically were told BY teachers that the teachers felt that they should consider alternative forms of education. They both have learning disabilities.

I have heard from teachers that there are unrealistic expectations put upon the teachers to "prepare" students who will never truly comprehend (Special Ed, or disabled students) or be capable of passing some of those year end tests -- to "DO IT!" and the result is humiliating for children and incredibly frustrating and painful for teachers who feel incredible pressure to push an impossible situation along. I haven't heard more than cliches about it and thus feel that it is ineffective. Of course, since I am pursuing teacher certification and NOT in the classrooms yet, I respect what teachers I know have to say about it. They don't think highly of it, nor do they seem to think it's effective. But I still wonder exactly what it is...
:roll: :?:

Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]