View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Issues with our discussion on Race 
All-star
All-star

Durng our discussions in class dealing with race and social class, it has occured to me that, for the most part, we are all from the same socio-economic background. i may be wrong in this assumption, and if so, please let me know, but we are mostly the same in our thoughts and backgrounds. I am not trying to overgeneralize but i reality we are not all that different. It is interesting to me that Gayle had to bring in someone of a different ethnicity in order to change up the conversation. It also stries me as intersting that most of the anecdotal evience provided in class displays little if any involvment with people of a different ethnicity. I think that we also need to expand our knowledge of race. Most of our examples were about African-Americans. W did not adress the Hispanic, Asian, Middle-Eastern, Native American, or any other ethnic groups that are all too prevalent in our society. It also came to my attention that we begin our anecdotes with "I knew a Black guy/girl... he/she was a good person..." . We do not assume that ethnicity has any bearing on the inherent goodness of a person, do we? If not, then why do we seem so required to speak of everyone by starting with an attestation of their character. Many of us are sharng experiences with a limited involvement with other race, such as only in an academic setting, or on an athletic team, or in lunch. One of my best friends growing up was African-American, and one of my good friends through high school, and also a former girlfriend of mine were Arican-American. That almost seems to be more involvment than a majrity of the class, and i by no means feel qualified to discuss their social behavior, generalizations on their race, or anything having to do with minority groups. I think that tis is why it was essential for us to have a visitor. I do, however think that it is sad that we had to "bring in a black man" like it was for show and tell. I am sorry if this has anyone heated, or if i have offended any of you, or seem to have belittled your experiences, but that is one of the things that this discussion group is meant for, and I hope that yu will provide feedback.

Tue Mar 09, 2004 9:59 am
All-star
All-star

Perhaps we, too, are oblivious to the embedded racism that exists in today's society as described in the "White Privilege" article. Does the fact that I have never had a close relationship with a person of a different race mean that, in some way, I am racist? I would like to think not, but it may be true.

I agree with you that the ethnicity of a person has NOTHING to do with his/her inherent goodness.

I couldn't help but wonder how Marvin felt in our class a few weeks ago. Did he feel "on display"? He offered great insights to the discussion and I'm very glad that he came, but do you all think he might have felt, even the slightest bit, uncomfortable at any point in the disscussion?

Wed Mar 17, 2004 4:45 pm
All-star
All-star

Brian is so right. I did not realize how we all sounded. It was like show and tell. In class I did not share some things about myself because I didn't want to sound so much like a soap opera and I felt like I was talking about ME too much. I do not think that I am any type of expert of other cultures or "races" but I do feel like I have a well-rounded life with many types of relationships with all types of people. I am not sure the reasons behind it, but I just see everyone the same, maybe I was just brought up that everyone is equal in the eyes of GOD. I know in the world's eyes we are not all equal, but we have to hope :D Anyway, one experience that really has impacted me was the summer I lived in Jamaica. I lived with a black family and became a part of their family. They loved me and I loved them. The church I worked in welcomed me no matter my skin color, but I did encounter problems when going into the cities. We would have to ask if they served white people when we tried to go out to eat. If I was not walking with someone black I was usually harassed, meaning I got pushed or knocked down. This was not in tourist areas. Anyway to sum up, this experience was eye-wakening and put me on the flipside of what blacks had or have to go through. :lol:

Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:47 pm
All-star
All-star

I think we say "I knew a Black guy/girl... he/she was a good person..." because we dont want to offend anyone in the class. Or make ourselves seem racist, whether we are or not. I feel that we do it to keep ourselves in good standings, and be nice.

Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:37 pm
All-star
All-star

When we address one's skin color do we not promote diversity. Why can't a man just be a man and a woman just be a woman???????????????????

Why does every questionaire specifically ask about race. When will society move forward to equality rather than dwelling on our differnces?

Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:34 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm not so sure saying, "I have a black friend who is a good person" is a bad thing. No one in the class said it as if they were suprised by the fact. They just said it. We were talking about interracial relationships (sexual and platonic) and we were describing people who were black and stating how we thought of them as a person. "I know a white dude." He's kind of an a hole. I have a black friend. I think he lies alot. I have a black friend who is extremely kind and unselfish. I have an Indian friend. He's real quiet." Sometimes I think reading so deep into stuff encourages seperation.

Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]