View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:57 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 The little indian boy 
All-star
All-star

The story about the Indian boy was really sad to me. It makes me sad to know that teachers automatically label kids as slow learners. I thought it was really neat how the father pointed out all the things that his son does know. That his son knows how to count, and speak in different languages, and knows about his heritage and different cermonies. I just think its sad that the teacher doesnt take into consideration that this boy is five, and is in a totally different environment and having trouble fitting in. I hope that when i become a teacher i dont automatically label kids like that. I hope to get to know them and hopefully some of their family life to make better decisions in the course of their learning as far as school.

Wed Mar 17, 2004 5:52 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you. That seems to be a sad reality in schools today. My mom is a second grade teacher. When the list of students comes to her in the summer, the first grade teachers will go to the second grade teachers and "warn" them about trouble makers or slow learners. Before school even starts or before my mom even knows the faces of her students, she's already had an idea about their behavior and learning styles planted into her head. With those seeds in her head, it is hard to get them out. I hate that. I hope it is different for me as well.

Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:22 pm
All-star
All-star

I to have seen lots of teachers catogorize students. To me its all right to address the childs problem areas to future teachers, but their purpose in doing this should be to help not to hinder the child.

To me how can a student succeed if the teacher all ready has him labeled to fail?

Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:41 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I too found it unfortunate that the teacher was considering Wind Wolf slow, but what an amazing letter that is. Medicine Grizzlybear's writing is unbelievable. The way he words his beliefs about WW. I imagine that letter had to have some impact on the teacher. It's great how he understood that his culture was just as important, and in my opinion much more interesting than whitey's. A sad situation, but an excellent letter than I'm really glad to have read.

Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:42 pm
All-star
All-star

It is sad how teachers label students. I, God willing, will not do that. I don't think it's right. Also, I believe that labeling students because of their sibling is wrong too. I know that each student is different, especially when it comes to families. I think that seeing each student as they should be seen is best and not base our decisions on what other teachers say.

Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]