View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 6:45 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Stereotypes Portrayed in Advertisements 
All-star
All-star

I just got back from the grocery store- there, I noticed that on the Land O' Lake Butter package there was an image of a beautiful Native American woman in the middle of a natural lake environment. Then I thought- how does this portray Native Americans?

What other ethnic stereotypes are portrayed in advertisements?
Is this type of portrayal OK? Or do you think it perpectuates the existence of ethnic/ racial stereotypes? It is harmful?

Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:47 pm
All-star
All-star

well there are several things that come to mind....mainly food products for example the mammy of Aunt Jamima.....In my opinion these protrayals are not harmful....in his case, just trying to sell a product.... :x

Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:48 pm
All-star
All-star

I to see lots of consumer products that depict other etnic groups, but in all honesty, I don't feel it perpectuates stero-types in a negative way. In fact my children will only eat pancakes if we have Aunt Jamime syrup. They love her and her unique shaped bottle.

Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:25 am
All-star
All-star

Advertisements in the grocery store are common at depicting certain groups. This is also true for TV commercials and ads in magazines. My CI 3850 class has been looking at how TV commercials and ads pinpoint certain groups in their advertising. It's really interesting to watch for it when I'm watching commercials or reading a magazine.

Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]