View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Are you a mutt? 
All-star
All-star

I thinking about the analogy of mutts and americans. How we are made up of so many different cultures that we are compared to a dog that is mongrel dog. Then on the other hand we have so many people all over the globe that are "pure" As I shared in class my great-grandfather on my mom's side was black and then on my dad's side my great-grandmother was "Indian" and both sides have dutch, irish,scot and whatever else. Are you a mutt?

Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:00 pm
All-star
All-star

No I am not a mutt, nor is any individual on this planet a mutt because of their ancestory. To me a man is simply a man and a woman is simply a woman. Ancestory is important to understand history, but should not be a reason to limit or alter the here and now.

Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:16 am
All-star
All-star

To be referred to as a dog is the same to me as being referred to as a descendant of a monkey. I agre w/ Vickie in how she says ancestry is important for history, to know where you came from, to find out what happened in history, etc, but not for my individuality. I don't use it as a pick up line, and it is definitely not the first thing someone ask me when they meet me.

Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:40 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Hey guys. I want to apologize if I affended anyone. I was not saying I was or anyone was a literal mutt, just that myself and others that have multiple cultural heritages are "like" mutts. I DEFINITELY do not believe we are or speaking for myself are descendants of monkeys. I just wanted to say "sorry" if anyone was bothered by this subject :cry:

Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:43 am
All-star
All-star

It is not an offensive thing to me. The first time that I ever heard that term used I thought it was pretty clever because this is not a society that has an extensive background. Personally, my mom is a second generation Italian-American and my dad is French, English, and Native American.

Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:24 pm
All-star
All-star

I thought you meant it in a light-hearted, open-minded way. I think it's interesting to read the mix we each have within our bloodlines. It also seems like a non-judgemental way to open the door to studying diversity and to recognize, while helping children recognize a kinship with people all over the world. Knowing that some of one's own heritage actually relates to cultures all over the world is fun.

My mutt make-up, as far as I know consists of: alot of Welsh blood, German, Scotch-Irish, French and Native American (but I cannot recall the specific tribe - which prompts me to check on that with my elders) and that's about all I know. I think it's a good question.

Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:02 am
All-star
All-star

Am I a mutt? Well, not in the since that a dog would be, but my family on both sides traces back to relatively the same location in Europe. My family on both sides hails from Germanic lands: Germany and Austria. They later spread to England and the U.S.
My family heritage is important to me, and our diverse backgrounds in the U.S. is also important. Even the Native Americans came to America from another land-probably over the Bering Bridge from Eurasia a long time ago.

Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]