View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 2:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Brown Eyes vs. Blue eyes 
All-star
All-star

Wow! What a way to teach children about racism. I thought the approach was a little drastic. However she did get her point across. I do believe that one has to experiance something first hand to truely say they know what it feels like in someone elses shoes.

Do you think that there is a less controversial way to do the exercise she did in the video that would have the same efeect?

Also what are you thought s and feelings on the video?

Sun Mar 21, 2004 6:57 pm
All-star
All-star

I really liked the video. It shows kids first hand what its like to be racist, or made fun of. There is no way to sugar coat the exercise so no ones feelings would get hurt. I agree it might be a little drastic for 3rd graders to handle, but look at the world around them and what was already going on. Making MLK Jr. the hereo of the month and then he is killed. How do you explain that to kids without sugar coating it? I think it was good for the kids to get that lesson first hand in someone's shoes.

Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:34 pm
All-star
All-star

I too thought that this exercise was drastic. The reactions and the thoughts of the students after the fact - once they had grown up, said a lot though. The students felt like they had insight that others did not have. They went as far as to say that that every child should experience it!
If I were going to do something like this I would definitely be tempted to do something that wasn't as drastic. I just don't know if less would have the same effect though.

Fri Mar 26, 2004 3:07 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't think it was drastic at all. The only thing I would have done differently is have a meeting at the beginning of the year with the parents. I know I don't want to be sitting at home and get 30 phone calls about how their kid was discriminated against at school. I would sit down with the parents and show the video and tell them my approach to teaching the lesson, which would probably be very similar. I think it taught them a great lesson about what different races and religion have to go through everyday. I think the 3rd graders handled it the way anyone would at any age. They all turned out fine 20 years later, so I don't feel that there is any good reason not to teach that lesson. They experience discrimination first-hand and they can actually say to someone that is of a minority that they have stood in their shoes at least for a day.

Mon Mar 29, 2004 5:02 pm
All-star
All-star

i'm sure that there is a less controversial way, but i think this way is one of the most effective i've seen

Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:15 am
All-star
All-star

I am going to have to say that approach was on the drastic side, though very affective. I think she was very lucky that none of those kids broke down in class, and there were no surprises she had not anticipated. Also, she was more than fortunate to have supportive parents, and that would have been my largest fear. Far too often, there is one parent who has difficulty seeing the importance and depth of some lessons. Still, I think that that lesson changed those students’ lives for the better, and that is the key. That is what is important.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:42 pm
All-star
All-star

I thought it was drastic to have it span two days. It would be an exercise I would consider on a smaller scale - like half a day. I'd hate to have one child who was discriminated against one day not return (due to illness or something else) the next day and not realize for yet another day what was going on.

The children were all affected and I am sure it is a lesson that they remembered all their lives. But, I still would not let a whole day and a night go by without letting them know what I was doing.

Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]