View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Bowling for Columbine 
All-star
All-star

I recently saw the movie "Bowling for Columbine." I think that Tate mentioned it in our last class. This movie is great because it puts the facts out there. I was reluctant at first to see the movie because I had heard from some friends that it was not good and was very negative. I think the opposite. Like I said, it shows the facts: crime statistics, guns purchases, etc. I think that as future educators, this movie will help to enhance our knowledge about what our students might be getting themselves into. You may not like it, but I encourage you to at least see it.

Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:36 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you. I think that we as teachers do need to know what is going own in our students lives. Not only for the sheer benifit of having the knowledge of the facts but also to be awre of the facts and know that it could happen in your school. We need to know what to do and haow to handle such situations.

Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:37 pm
All-star
All-star

I think we are in school to not only teach, but to be a mentor to the students, and that means knowing what is going on in each student's life.

Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:53 pm
All-star
All-star

I just saw, "Bowling for Columbine" today!!! -- and I thought it was great. It really made individuals aware of the issues our country faces compared to other countries . One point in the movie shows Moore and two victims of the Columbine bombing going to the K-Mart corportation. The victims wanted K-Mart to stop selling ammuntion -- and eliminate it all together, because both victims had been shot at with bullets that came from K-Mart. The bullets will remain in their bodies forever. What shocked me more is K-Mart agreed to take the bullets, etc. out of their stores!! I was so proud of the students. :) I found it remarkable that an act so small accomplished so much.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:39 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

well...i haven't seen "Bowling For Columbine" and never wanted to until just recently. Why? Because I don't like Michael Moore. i hate the way he approaches most issues and, of course, i don't agree with him on most of those issues anyways. but i do want to see the film now, b/c i'm curious to see just what he has to say in it. however...as far as putting the facts out there...remember that everybody in politics (he's not a politician, but he's in politics) lies and has a bias. i did some research concerning some of the things he implies about Charlton Heston and the NRA meetings shown and talked about in the movie, and he really does a lot more to discredit and defame Mr. Heston than is deserved. some of that research i got from various articles i found online, and some of it i got straight from www.michaelmoore.com. but anyways...i won't go into it all now, i just wanted to say that sometimes "facts" and "opinions" are swapped when talking political issues.

Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:28 pm
All-star
All-star

I have seen "Bowling for Columbine." I think that it is an important step in understanding the role that violence in our society. I do agree with Wes that Moore does hit Heston very hard, but Heston's interview in the film is not really that nice. I think that every college student should see this film and make up their own mind about Michael Morre's arguments. It doesn't matter if you agree with his views or not, he still brings up some very important points

Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]