View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:40 pm

Reply to topic  [ 12 posts ] 
 In the News 
All-star
All-star

There was a story this morning on the news:
A young girl sued her basketball coach blaming him for her eating disorder. She won over a Million dollars. The coach suggested she lose 10 pounds by eating more nutritious foods.

What do you think of this story?
Was the ruling fair?

Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:36 am
All-star
All-star

I think that no one should be blamed for self inflicted torture but the one who is doing the inflicting. Come for an educational, dietician view I think his comment is right on. For ever pound someone loses their resting systolic blood pressure drops 1 point. This means that if she had a resting blood pressure of 130/80 mmHg then lost 10 pounds she would then have a resting blood pressure of 120/80 mmHg which is normal. As a coach her losing the weight would not anly have numerous health benifits her performance might also improve by allowing her to work at higher intensities for longer durations thus improving her overall performance. The girl simply took it too far and was not educated about the severity of a eating disorder.

Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:46 pm
All-star
All-star

unfair... now of days anyone can sue over something stupid. how can they blame the coach? maybe she has a mental disorder or a chemical imbalance.

Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:23 pm
All-star
All-star

Ridiculous!!! must I say coffee??? lol we all know about that..ohhh..and fast food restaraunts...ohhh..and tobacco companies... anyway!!! The girl, if in high school, should understand the benefits of being healthy. The coach was not wrong in suggesting what her player should do. She could have possibly talked it over with her parents and her, but either way, the girl is the most responsible. If she is going to blame it on the coach, she may as well blame it on MTV, ETC ETC ETC!!

Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:02 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I don't know exactly how appropriate it was for the coach to suggest that she lose ten pounds. Did he just suggest it out of the blue or did she want to lose the weight herself? That is important in how appropriate it was for him to tell her. However, that an eating disorder can be blamed on anyone is ridiculous. There are many complex issues that go into this and if she had those prexisting issues, it is something that could have easily happened anyway - and probably would have. What is sad is that she is being rewarded for having an eating disorder when she really needs someone to look past those surface things of it and help her recover.

Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We live in a sue happy society, and that makes me sick. I heard about a man suing an airport because he fell down or something after his flight. The sad thing is that he'd been drinking the whole flight. What's wrong with people. They'll just take your money cause they can. Maybe that girl did have psychological problems or a mental disorder. The sad thing is now she's got a million dollars. She sucks. :x

Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:42 pm
All-star
All-star

Since I haven't read the article, I feel inept to actually write much on this. I find it sickening that - a judge could hear a case like this, presented as it's been presented to us - and rule in her favor. It makes me think that perhaps there is information none of us know about involved. However, it does seem like citizens are incredibly sue-crazed and that the integrity of our judicial system really suffers - causing all of us as taxpayers and citizens dependent upon "justice" through judiciary means to suffer.

Rates for malpractice insurance are so high for alot of obstetricians that performing their practices can be almost impossible(this I know from a conversation with an obstetrician at the movie theater when the movie wouldn't work. As audience members we just sat waiting - and this woman and I struck up a conversation). This doctor loves delivering babies and working with moms - but she said that she may have to stop just because the cost of insurance made it ridiculous to practice.

Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:51 am
All-star
All-star

not fair :!: :!:

It is a sad day in age when people are so crooked that they have to stoop to ruining a coach,s life because of their insecurities....

Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:40 pm
All-star
All-star

This is unfair. I can't believe that this case won in court. We are living in an era of unprecidented litigation. It is becoming difficult, especially for educators, to determine what you could or could not be sued for. I think that it is ridiculous for us to have to worry about every little thing we tell students, even if it is harmless advice

Thu Apr 29, 2004 3:55 pm
All-star
All-star

I think coaches can be hard, but the girl can make her on choices. Maybe she needs to learn how to take criticism.

Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:35 pm
All-star
All-star

I can’t help but shake my head at our individuality-based society that Americans so often have. Almost everyone sees themselves staring in some dramatic story, and it is up to them to make the best of their lives, at the expense of others. Why should you care how much you trouble and pain to give to others through your actions? It’s not like they are important, they are only secondary characters. Whatever. I hope she enjoys here new found cash. The only friends she will have now anyway are the ones you can buy.

Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:40 pm
All-star
All-star

That seems really silly to me. I sometimes don't even know how to begin arguing against something that makes so little sense. If the coach worded it that she just needed to eat more nutritious foods...then he wasn't even being a jerk about it, it seems. So I don't see how any blame can really fall to him. People blame their instabilities on others in this world, and nobody wants to be accountable for their own actions. Its kind of sad, really...but very very common.

Sat May 01, 2004 12:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 12 posts ]