View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Minority teachers? 
All-star
All-star

What were some ways that your teachers tried to teach the ways that different races felt to you? Were most of your teachers white? Although I came from a diverse school, most of the teachers in my various schools were white. Not only were they not teaching that whites have a luxury that minorities don't have but maybe they did not fully realize the position they were in themselves.

Fri Mar 26, 2004 6:25 pm
All-star
All-star

Most of my teachers were white. I did however have black teachers as well. I can not recall being taught about diversity amoung different races espeacially not to the extent to which I have been taught in college. I feel like more awarness about diversity should be taught in the schools. We need this in this day and age to bring about equality and harmony.

Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I honestly didn't have a black teacher until last semester. At my high school and elementary school in Elkin, I can't think of one black teacher. I can only recall one black teacher assistant, who I didn't have the pleasure of having in elementary school, because she is the sweetest lady there. When you hear me say that all the teachers were white, they literally all were. I also don't remember my previous teachers teaching about diversity until college. I do agree with the fact that diversity needs to be taught more in schools. Once kids graduate from high school and go to college or get a job, they will encounter many different people from different races. If they went to a school like I did and had hardly any diversity, they need to be prepared for different races. I know when I started college, I had a huge culture shock because I went to ECU my freshman year. There were people there of all races and religions. It was so different to me than what my previous experiences were. Diversity needs to be stressed more most definately.

Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:51 pm
All-star
All-star

Most of my teachers were white and i don't remember them teaching anyting about race.

Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:13 am
All-star
All-star

I grew up in Wilkes county. Only three of the four high schools had african-american students. The high school I attended had only two african-american students when I graduated in 2000. I remember a time in high school when a student dressed up as a KKK member. I hated going to a school where students would do such a thing, because I had many friends who were black. And I honestly can not recall their being an african-american teacher -- I know for sure that there was not a black teacher at my high school. For the other three high schools I am not sure. Overall, its a sad situation because the student-minortiy ratio has not changed. :(

Fri Apr 02, 2004 4:57 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I lived in charlotte my entire life, and every school that I went to had a good mix of ethnic groups both in the student body, and in the faculty. My teachers did not adress race issues because it almost wasn't necessary. My fourth grade year, I went to a school in the heart of downtown. This school ws about as "inner-city" as charlotte elementary schools got. We were aware of racial undertones and things like that without it being adressed. Some of my best friends, and some girls that I have dated were black and it has never seemed to be an issue to me. We did not discuss the luxury that was present by simply being white because the lines in my neighborhood and my school were so blurred between races that the lines between luxury and not were not clear enough perhaps to discuss. They seemed more to promote choice over destiny, if that makes any sense.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:21 pm
All-star
All-star

I grew up in Denver, CO, Granada Hills, CA and Boone, NC. In CO, I had a very dark black P.E. teacher named Mrs. or Ms. White. She was startling to me with her loud voice and gruff manner. However, as a first grader, as soon as I adjusted to her personality, I liked her alot because I realized she liked us alot. She also made sure that NO big kids ever bullied her little ones. My third grade teacher was named Mrs. Saddler and she was mulatto. She was one of the warmest human beings I'd encountered yet. However, she compared me to my incredibly brainy older sister (who was in her 1st grade class a couple years earlier) alot, which was always annoying.

I had two male teachers in California and a teacher named Mrs. Lopez. I think Mrs. Lopez was caucasion but she brought in ethnic food alot to let us sample a whole variety of odd stuff - seaweed salad was particularly strange and interesting. When I moved to North Carolina, I experienced dramatic culture shock and do not recall hearing about diversity issues until high school. In my art class, it seems like we talked about diversity, somehow. I cannot recall what the context was - but, we created album covers for pretend cds (they were vinyl back then, actually;-) and I did a pastel close-up of a black man I found in a National Geographic. My mom was so interested in our knowing about other cultures - so my experiences and memories involve her influence more than any teachers. But, I hope to be a teacher who exposes students to the beauty of diversity and the fun of celebrating our individuality - in culture and traditions.

Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:02 am
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]