View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Schools 
All-star
All-star

During my internship i've learned so much. i've learned the kind of teacher i don't want to become, and the kind of school where i never want to work. However, the most important thing i've learned from my internship is that our educational system is so pitiful(in NC at least). last week at my internship(N. Wilkes High) i found out a couple of interesting facts that i'd like to share with the class. One, there are so many schools in NC which have very poor funding, N. Wilkes being one of them. Friday we went to their library and i was so amazed at what i saw. They had, no joke, maybe four or five shelfs of books and that was it. Their library was deffenitley below standards. It was pitiful and it really hit me hard. i never realized that some schools were like this. Second, i talked to some students in the classroom. They understand that they are a poor school. They told me that they get new teachers every year, but that only last a semester or two and then they leave. They said there teachers at the school are sorry teachers and they don't teach at all. i can agree with that statement due to observing my cooperating teacher(all he does is make them watch movies).

But... i can understand why teachers only last at those types of school for a semester or two. Who would want to teach in a school like that, which is so poor and hardly gets any money from the state. It was so sad, but interesting to see how the students felt about the situation.

Any responses are welcomed.

Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:10 am
All-star
All-star

What kind of teacher would what to work in a school like N. Wilkes High School- a school that is "poor"? I would. Would you want to work there Brandon, after seeing what it is like through your internship experience? I think students can still learn and teachers can still teach effectively despite whatever funding/money problems they are facing. Yeah, it would be great if all schools had equal resources/materials, etc., but they don't and that is a reality we are going to have to face when we become teachers. I think teachers should send the message-- maybe we don't have great resources or enough money, but that's NOT going to stop us from learning.

Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:24 am
All-star
All-star

But... i don't see any learning from my observation. The teacher doesn't even teach. he pops a movie/documentary in, tells them to take notes, and then gives them some kind of drawing assignment to do. i can only speak of this one teacher, but what i'm trying to say is that it is sad that kids in this school or schools like it don't get a fair opportunity to learn. they even said from their own mouths that they have poor teachers who don't want to be there. they said they last a year at the most and then a new one comes in. No wonder why so many kids in that classroom hate history... i would too because the teacher makes it so dull.

Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:42 pm
All-star
All-star

Well, nwhs, I went to ewhs! I know all abou this school, as well as my own. To be honest, they are probably the poorest school in the county, and then east is the 2nd poorest. It is sad!!! Trust me!! The county commissioners tried to fix this a few years ago by putting a school bond for the two schools to join, but the public voted it down. Too many tax raises to build a great school for students! We now have 4 new middle school buildings?!!! How bizarre is that!!??? Anyway, as far as teaching at north wilkes, I wouldn't desire to, but I would do it. Not have resources to teach with, along with not having teaching peers not wanting to be there would not be easy, but someone has to teach them. Brandon, what teacher are you with?

Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:53 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

We try to prevent students from "falling through the cracks," it seems like it would be pretty easy for this whole school to fall through the cracks though. Even if there were no resources, if the teachers cared then these students would not be so bad off. If the teachers don't care though they are getting the message that not only does the county not feel willing to provide the proper resources but the adults in their lives are not commited to helping them either.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:21 am
All-star
All-star

I come from a similar school. Although, it wasn't THAT bad. My county does really well for what they have. All i have to say is that a very resourceful and caring teacher is needed to fill the positions at that school. When life hands you lemons, make lemonade. It may sound naive, but if the facts aren't exactly the perfect facts, use what you have. It does no good to sit back and complain about it, do what you can. ok, that wansn't all i had to say ;-)

Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:48 pm
All-star
All-star

It is sad to hear that the situation is so bad. It sounds like the school needs to look outside the county for help. It is a public school so it has access to government funding both from the state and national levels. Teachers who are willing and creative can write grants to the government to get funds for new programs and materials. I mean hell if a grad student at a university can get money to grow a human ear on the back of a rat I'm sure a school can get money to improve the library and the building. All the school needs is a few good teachers that really care about the school and the students.

Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:47 pm
All-star
All-star

I went to North -- and the poor teaching/poor library existed when I went there. However there are teachers who do know how to teach ... or I wouldn't be where I am today!! :) Most of the teachers do not stay because it is a very conservative school. Teachers have to be careful with their lessons, because the students will go tell their parents and the parents will be at the school the next day to complain. It's like that, believe me!! Several of the teachers that I had, taught my parents as well --- !! These too are the reasons why I will probably end up student teaching in Hickory. Something does need to be done, but its such a conservative school out in the middle of no where!! How would one even attempt to create a change for the students? Teach them to think outside of the norm -- what their families raise them to believe, etc. If one would try to change things, the faculty/principal/parents/school board would be out for you in a hurry!!

Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:02 am
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]