View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Whistling(sp?) 
All-star
All-star

i just want to defend what i suggested the last class meeting. I asked the ladies in the room "would they feel different if a white man/men were whistling at them." all of you ladies said you would feel the same way no matter if it was a white, black, or hispanic man. The reason why i question your responses is due to was said before. Each of the ladies gave specific examples, but none had to do with a white man. all examples were of another ethnic group. i feel it is a matter of comfort zone. you are more likely to be uncomfortable when a man of another ethnic group whistles at you bc you are not exposed/comfortable to that certain ethnic group as you are to your own. Or it maybe the fact is that there is a gender difference between males and females when it comes to someone whistling at you.

Tue Mar 30, 2004 3:15 pm
All-star
All-star

I think it has to do with comfort zone too. But this is my comfort zone, i dont like it when any guy no matter race/ethnic background whistles at me. I am not a piece of meat to whistle at. Walk in a day of a girl and see whats its like to always be whistled at. It gets old and aggervating. If you want to whistle at something go whistle at a dog, they will at least come running, girls dont.

Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:15 pm
All-star
All-star

I totally agree with Stephanie. I don't feel like going somewhere and having some stupid boys breakin their necks or yelling as loud as they can. For example, over spring break me and my friend shannon went to the beach for a few days. We went and laid out on the beach one day, even though it was a little chilly. No joke, we were out there maybe 5 minutes and this marine had already come up to us and asked us for our numbers. That crap gets old. Yeah its kinda nice to be noticed, but don't make it so obvious.

Thu Apr 01, 2004 4:04 pm
All-star
All-star

In my CI3850 course, we discussed the issue of the "comfort zone". In one of the videos we watched, it discussed the surrounding issues of the white male. Individuals often refer to minority groups because white men are considered to be part of the norm. If you are not a white male you are a minority. The video was great and it brought up some good points about boys and girls struggling in today's society.

But about the whistling --- I try to ignore it, but if not I usually give dirty looks .... here lately I have been the one whistling at guys. Well not really, but I did whistle at the apt. next door to mine (they had their window open) then my roommate and I ran off -- hehehe!! 8)

Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:19 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Whistling has bothered me coming from any guys in a group, white, hispanic and I can't recall black guys whistling at me - with the exception of one black guy who was a friend of mine and he immediately followed his whistle with a compliment - when he was looking at me. And I appreciated his whistle and his comment.

Comfort Zones have to do with alot of elements. If a guy (whom I know ) is looking at me when I approach and I'm dressed up or something is different (hair, etc.) then, it's totally complimentary and I take it as such. But, when guys I do not know are behind me - anywhere and they yell out and whistle - I have always felt threatened and resent it.

I like - I think it's Stephanie's comment that whistling is great for dogs... They DO love it! They WILL come running! Women may not like it...

Glad the subject came up, though.

Wed Apr 07, 2004 10:15 am
All-star
All-star

I am usually offended when a clean cut white guy whistles or makes a comment to me. I am more threatened though when someone who is scruffier looking or hispanic or black whistles at me, probably just because I percieve them as being a little different from me.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:02 am
All-star
All-star

Well, i haven't had very many whistles in my day, BUT , i have never (to my knowledge) been whisteled at by a white guy, that wasn't my friend). BUT i have been whisteled or had a rude commment, weird stare from hispanics before. However, i don't think i would like it if either did.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:51 pm
All-star
All-star

How did whistling at a girl ever get started. What are the origins and hidden menaings behind it. I'm guilty of whistling at girls. i never do it to try to pick them up or to make them feel like a piece of meat or a dog or to make them feel embarrassed. Every girl is different. Some like to be noticed in any way shape or form. Others do not. Take girls that use sex as a way to gain social status. Many of you will say that you would never do that but face there are those girls out there that do. There is even girls that want to get pregnant from the captian of the football team just so that they can prove that he had sex with her. Comeing from my experiance from whistling at girls so say hay baby come here lets talk, others are like fuck you you asshole. Its a risk that most guys will take.

Responding to someones coment on walk a day in a girls shows. I think that if I did dress up like a girl I wouldn't get many whistles at least not from the guys, but I bet the girls would whistle though. Maybe it is the dress getting whistled at and not the girl.

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:58 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I try not to ever discriminate when whistling at girls. I feel like white,black, and all kinds of women of color can have potential for a good whistle. :wink:

Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:38 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]