View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 9/11 Panel 
All-star
All-star

This whole 9/11 investigation panel... do you think it is even worth having? Just a thought to throw out.

Wed Mar 31, 2004 1:50 pm
All-star
All-star

Not really, because if they want to cover it up, they are going to cover it up. If they couldn't do anything about it, okay. If they could have okay. If they could have, what were there other options? War? More talks? Who knows! Maybe they will at least figure out something.!! WHO KNOWS!?

Wed Mar 31, 2004 11:55 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Good question. I don't know if this panel will ever get to the truth behind the events of 9/11. I personally don't think that the truth will ever come out. The truth is protected by the inpenetrable fortress of "national security". For example, there were two offical inquries into the JFK assassination ( Warren Commission 1963-64 and House Select Committee on Assassinations 1976-79) and evidence is still being supressed. National Arcive records and FBI records of the assassination have disappeared in recent years and few people seem to notice or care.
What is not to say that 9/11 will become an incident like the JFK assassination, where people loose faith in government and the government supresses evidence while pretending to 'investigate'.

Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:00 pm
Site Admin

As a person who believes that democracy only works when the population of a country insists that it works, I find your responses really depressing. The loved ones of people who were killed on 9/11 insisted this panel be created, and are agitating for it to be tough and non-partisan. Of course, they aren't 100% happy with the testimony so far. They need our help to put pressure on the current administration to release information from both the Bush and Clinton administrations that the commission needs.

I'm saying that WE need to take this seriously, or our representatives will not. You are the next generation of voters. What do you care about? Do you participate yourselves in the democratic process? Have you read Richard Clarke's book, "Against All Enemies"? What do you think about it? He is a career counter-terrorism expert who served presidents Reagan, Bush, Clinton and Bush 2. He offers a direction for solutions, one of which includes a condemnation of the war in Iraq as, essentially, falling right into the propaganda trap that Al Queda must have longed for. Whether you agree with Clarke's analysis or not, are you paying attention to the discussion? If you are not, then we don't have a democracy that can be sustained. It doesn't happen without you.

Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I haven't had much of a chance to see the 9/11 panel on tv, but from what I have watched, I have noticed that they seem to be getting nowhere. Overall, the issue has been that one agency didn't give information to another agency because of "legal issues" and red tape. Whatever. If our country does not want another 9/11 to happen, then these agencies need to get their act together and work together and share information.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:54 am
All-star
All-star

I agree that we need to take this situation seriously. It is our responsibility to be involved, to know what is going on in the government especially in regard to something so serious as WAR. How many Americans really understand what is happening in the world-why terrorist attacks are happening? Who is responsible? Or why did we went to war with Iraq?

I am taking an Ethnic Conflict class with Dr. Isaenko- I was shocked when he told us that there aren't many U.S. colleges that offer programs/degrees that focus on ethnic conflicts. Here, we only have one history class dedicated to the topic- Dr. Isaenko has tried, unsuccessfully, to create a program for it here at ASU.

We need more counter-terrorism experts- people who understand the language, culture, and history of conflicts in the world. But, we, too, must try to understand what is really happening ourselves- and not only by what we see on TV.

Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:54 am
All-star
All-star

Post WAR
I belive that alot of the problems is with government red-tape. There are so many things that happen that we never hear about and that just get covered up. Do you remeber the plane that crashed in rural PENN. There was a 911 call saying that the plane had been shot. The operator thought it was a prank but on the tape you can even here the plane crash. This tape was destroyed and noone ever heard of it again. The reason I know this is because i know the person that made the call. I believe that the government takes care of us and there are some things that I don't want to know about as long as they keep me happy and protect our way of life and freedom. I do feel for those that lost family and want answers. But by giving them answers, answers that they may not want to hear may cause a whole other problem with civil uprisings. I beleave that government red tape exists as an opiate to the masses to keep us tranquil and happy.

Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:58 pm
All-star
All-star

Wow. It's surprising to read some of these responses. I am reminded of the three monkeys who symbolize "see no evil, hear no evil, say no evil..." I don't even know the origin of the monkey symbols but I appreciate Dr. Turner and Deborah's posts alot because "government" is the re-creation of each generation who cares enough to replenish representation. If we think that we're better off "NOT knowing" - I fear for our future in a very big way.

The 9/11 commission and reports are significant. I have seen snippets of it because my father is a news junkie and I can't help but seeing what's on. What the hearings reveal - the red tape that has been referred to - is that our organizations fit yesterday's world. Bin Laden is a smart, evil guy who saw vulnerabilities that our "freedom" and our ever-changing society possessed. The hearings reveal that certain organizations' funding had been cut in areas that made it difficult to be more effective. The trust between organizations had diminished due to abuses in history. I think its very, very helpful to hear the comprehensive picture of what transpired in the corridors of our national security offices - how and why they couldn't protect us on that tragic day.

Fri Apr 16, 2004 8:43 am
All-star
All-star

When I returned and re-read the msg I hurriedly posted last, after I read my reminder about the see-say-hear-no-evil monkeys, I want to apologize and be sure that anyone reading it understands that I am talking about WHAT the monkeys do - not making any comparisons.

Perhaps it is silly for me to be posting this apology. But I cannot edit what I wrote this a.m. and I don't want to be misunderstood and hurt anyone's feelings.

I like this post alot. And I believe, this is IT for me! Thank you...

This has been very interesting and fun.
:oops: - I'd like this emoticon to be under the WHAT the monkeys do line - but, it's not and it won't go...
:wink:

Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:45 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]