View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Parent's protest school book about gays 
All-star
All-star

If you didn't see the article "Parents of 6-year-old protest book about gays brought home by child" in the Friday, March 19, 2004 Winston-Salem Journal, this article shows what is going on in our schools. I personally am not fond of it, along with the ideas of suggesting students AT 6 YEARS OF AGE TO BE READING OF THINGS THAT GOES AGAINST THEIR FAMILY MORALS FOR FUN. The parents of this student were not happy with their child brought home the book King & King. The prince in the story had his choice of many princesses, but he eventually chose Prince Lee. The book ends with the princes marrying and sharing a kiss. The books if 32 pages by Linda De Hann and Stern Nijland, published in March 2002 by Tricycle Press. A follow up book King & King & Family was recently published. The parent's can't belive this book was there, much less available for a 1st grader to check out. They are calling for the book to be discontinued of circulation. The principal's response was "What might be inappropriate for one family, in another family is a totally acceptable thing."
What do you think?
I will bring the article to class for your viewing!

Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:15 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I think I would have the same reaction as the parents. I am not a parent but I know that when I am I want to shelter and monitor what my children are exposed to, not hide them from unpleasant or controversal things, just make those introductions by me or monitored by me. I had a friend that her mother was homosexual and I would go to her house and I did not understand why the my friend had two moms until I was in middle school. My friend and me never discussed the issue. After I knew what homosexual meant then I understood why she had two moms that slept in the same bed. I am not familiar with the book, but I guess it is meant to help children understand the subject on their level. I do not oppose the book with parental permission or if a parent wants to use the book if a child has questions, but I do not think it should be used ina everyday setting and the classroom.

Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:13 pm
All-star
All-star

I think a part of the problem as to why people are not always accepting of others is because they are not introduced to different ideas at young ages. I think the book is fine. If I were the parent I would have tried to explain to my child what the book means, and more importantly teach him/her to accept all people despite their differences- whether those differences are cultural, racial, or differences in sexual orientation.

Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:27 pm
All-star
All-star

Even though the parents might have been upset I believe that the school teacher was in the right. Students need to be introduced to gays/lesbians. etc. if not they will learn about these issues from the television set they probably watch everyday. I would rather my child be educated by a teacher who could answer any questions they might have rather than learn something that might not be true or misleading about the issues at hand.

From another perspective the teacher could have sent home a note regarding the book and its content. The parents could then sign on saying that it was okay for their child to partake in the lesson.

Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:04 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I agree that there is nothing wrong with this book. It shows homosexuality in a perfectly normal manner. It makes homosexuals look normal to a child from their upbringing. Sociaty needs to accept that homosexuals are going to be a part of society, and they should learn about them and embrace them to make it easier on everyone. The book being banned is out of the question in my eyes. I think that the book should remain free to be checked out by anyone that wants to read it. If it is a children's book, it should be available to children. The only argument that could keep it out of the hands of first graders is if it was written on a higher reading level. Somehow, I don;t think that this is the case.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:07 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm interested in reading the Winston-Salem Journal article. I'd like to read the book, too before I comment too fully on this topic.

However, I agree with Deborah, Jill and Brian. Homosexuality IS part of our civilization, has been and will be. To shed an educated light upon this aspect of our culture IS better in my mind than hiding information because of our own personal judgements. Our judgements live in hatred and fear and our children know those fears, biases and prejudices whether we are open about them or not. If we can ask ourselves WHAT is it? What particular elements about a topic bother us the most - then we can examine the truth of our own fears, prejudices. I do not accept someone just telling me Biblical lessons tell us something is a sin without showing me what one means. Jesus taught non-judgement, in my understanding. No one has mentioned the Bible so it isn't my intent to plant a seed of controversy. I just mention it because it is the frail argument I hear that is never followed up by documentation.

I have a family member that is gay. This person has been with one partner for over 12 years. The last partnered relationship lasted 12 years. Monogamy matters and I have always thought of these partners as my in-laws. This issue is one that I will stand up for with all my heart. Because I love my sibling with all my heart. I'm biased to be sure...

I headed this msg with "depends on the culture" because if I taught in a fundamentalist-type environment (which I can only imagine doing if - well, I can actually hardly imagine what circumstances would create that situation - except I have also had some very conservative, religious, fundamental friends - so, I do not want to pre-judge on my own future ---?) I would do my best to present appropriate information to an appropriate audience, doing my best to keep in mind or to communicate openly with parents before I presented what I imagine could be controversial information. Enough on this - for now. :oops: my words runneth over again...

Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:25 am
All-star
All-star

Just for Genevieve, I found these few scriptures that you may want to see. I am not trying to impose anything on you, but from what I've read you have wanted to see scriptures on homosexualities.
1 Corinthians 6:9-11
1 Timothy 1:10
Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13
Romans 1

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:04 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]