View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Massage? 
All-star
All-star

Would you be comfortable getting a professional massage from a man or woman? Massages have nothing to do with the class, but gender does. I have had this conversation with lots of people and everyone has different opinions like: I do not want another man or woman touching me except my wife/husband/girl/boy/friend or It really does not matter. This kind of like asking if you prefer a male or female doctor. Do you guys have a opinions or would your decision change if the massage therapist or doctor was a homosexual?

Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:34 pm
All-star
All-star

I would prefer having a female doctor. I don't know why, I guess because she would understand things that are going on with my body because she is also a female. I just never have felt comfortable being examined by a male doctor for some reason.

Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:58 pm
All-star
All-star

I personally would not have a problem with either a male or female giving me a massage, as long as the individual kept it professional and to the point. My brother does not agree with me - I was talking to him about the topic and he said that he would never let a male give him a massage. A massage is almost too girly! Sports trainers are okay though - he plays football at his college! :) Men have this idea that if a guy were to give them a massage they would be considered gay. In today's society, men need to overcome this image that guys cannot be affectionate without someone accusing them of being gay!!

Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:34 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I agree with Jill's findings. the word massage has come into a more erotic meaning in our society lately. They are more intimate if given by a spouse or significant other, but if given by, say, a chiropractor or a physical therapist, they are ok. There is something about the setting that makes me feel uneasy. I have a friend who is a male, and a certified massage therapist and I had him adjust my back one day because it had been sore. This didn;t feel wierd or anything like that, however, I wouldn't ask him to give me a massage out of the blue. Another friend of mine, a female, has wonderful hands and gives great massages, and I will go to her, almost daily, and ask for one. There is something about the purpose and connotation that makes one feel uneasy or comforted in this situation.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 12:12 pm
All-star
All-star

When I was in my 20s, I was quite shy and would not have felt comfortable receiving a massage from a man - unless I knew him well. But I have since taken a massage therapy course and had alot of massages. I agree with Jill that if a person is professional, which is the only kind I imagine (besides an intimate partner's touch), then my preference is to whomever will massage with the technique I prefer.

In my massage therapy class, I was surprised to discover how incredibly unique our preferences are when it comes to touch. Big people whom I actually anticipated might want a deep touch massage often times wanted light, easy massaging. I'm small-framed but like deep muscle work in a massage. I think when one finds a massage therapist one likes, it is a worthwhile investment, male or female.

Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]