View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Presidental Candidate 
All-star
All-star

Yes, I watch MTV -- ! Recently on MTV, Kerry sat down to be interviewed with questions concerning his campaign. I wanted to watch the show, because I wanted to see what he was about. I haven't really followed the news about his campaign, or what he plans on doing if he is elected President. My roommate told me earlier that day that it was sad that I was going to watch it because I am considered part of the MTV generation that is easily influenced on what I watch on TV. I was shocked and outraged by her comment. :x I am not that easily influenced, but she did have a point that most young adults are. MTV talked with Kerry about his love of hip-hop music and snowboarding, but they never mentioned his plans of raising gas taxes. What is sad is that many individuals will vote for Kerry just because he was on MTV. What can we do as educators to steer students in a direction to make their own decision w/o the media steering them in the wrong direction?

Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:22 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I think the only thing we can do is to tell students to pay close attention to issues that they are concerned about. The media does play a big part on swaying our decisions, but students need to understand that their individual thoughts and ideas are important. They shouldn't vote on someone just because everybody else is. That's what has always been stressed to me by my parents and it works.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:05 am
All-star
All-star

Well, darn! I cannot find it and it may have vanished since the candidate pool has shrunk so much. TrueMajority.org is a wonderful web-site that supplies a wealth of information. The bias is very strong and obvious - but, for an education on issues, I highly reccommend it.

I am also interested in any current information about Kerry. My first choice has dropped out and presidential match.com (which doesn't show up now when I tried a search) was a five-seven minute survey that one could take about a variety of issues. When I took it, my first choice matched my political preferences in fourth place! I was very surprised to discover that three others (Kerry being the third out of four) matched my stance on this myriad of issues - from gun control to a full spectrum of social concerns. Sorry that I cannot find it - wish I could get good info. too. If anyone has it, please share it.

I STILL suggest ANYONE who is slightly curious go to TrueMajority.org (not .com) and click on the "serious fun" tab and then click "the movie that George Bush does not want you to see." As educators, it is very enlightening. As citizens - as human beings interested in human life on this planet. I am serious about this...

Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:35 am
All-star
All-star

I have seen very informative facts on MTV about presidental candidates. They are not all about just what people are like personally. I think that it is great that MTV does that too. So what if this is the MTV generation - as if this generation has some special problems that other generations haven't had! Let people get their info from MTV, it's better than getting no info. I don't think that people that are over the age of 18 are easily enough influenced that they will base their vote on the fact that someone appeared on a certain station.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:44 am
Site Admin

Jill:

Let me guess: You got the idea that Kerry wants to raise gas taxes from watching an ad sponsored by his opponent, George W. Bush. I am guessing this because there is nothing in Kerry's platform regarding raising gas taxes. His current position is "energy independence". Back in the 70's Kerry was one of the many politicians, both Republican and Democrat, who favored raising gas taxes. that is 20+ years ago.

So here's the question: Is it better to get information about a candidate from the attack ads of the opposing candidate, or is it better to get your info from MTV? What might some other sources be?

Meanwhile, here is a link to a lot of information from both parties and other independent groups. You can also register to vote via my links.

http://gayleturner.net/democracy.html

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:52 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

It's hard to believe what politicians are saying nowadays. You can watch them in debates on TV, see them in person, or whatever, but they (majority) are only saying what people want them to hear. It's sad really, but that's what it's come to. I hate that there is all this negative campaigning going on to degrade the other person. I would more likely vote for someone who has a positive campaign than one who has a negative campaign.

Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]