View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:09 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 way to weird 
All-star
All-star

I dont understand how a person can be born one sex and live that life style for a while, then wake up one morning and decide they want to get an operation and become a completly new person. That doesnt make sense to me. Im not saying that they have a mental disorder or anything but i am saying thats weird. I am totally against transgender. You were born a certain sex your suppose to stay a certain sex. But i dont think that they should be getting beat up and lose their jobs over it. We would never know we were working with a transgender person unless they told us. So how is that person different after they tell us? so with that said it sounds like my opinions are going both ways, they sorta are, but im still against transgender.

Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:48 pm
All-star
All-star

This may just be my opinion, but transgender is not something that you can be "against". This is someone else's lifestyle and we have no right to judge them for it. It would be the same as saying that you are "against" homosexuality, and many people do make that claim. They say that it is not natural and things like that which all sound like we are saying it is wierd. It may be an uncomfortable issue to us, but i think that as teachers, we cannot say it is wierd, and it is our responsibility to give it a fair shot in the eyes of everyone we meet. That doesn't mean that we have to say "hey, transgendered is the way to be!", we just need to understand the other side, and perhaps even defend it as a lifestyle. I think that this was the main point of the video!

Mon Apr 05, 2004 11:59 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with Brian. I don't think transgendered people wake up one morning and decide to be the opposite sex- it can't possible be that simple. What if transgendered people just naturally feel like they are both a man and a woman. Because gender is so rigidly constructed they are forced to identify with one sex or the other.

I think that transgendered people-even if I don't completely understand their situation- are entitled the freedom to live their lives as they wish just as we all are.

Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:38 pm
All-star
All-star

Like Deborah and Brian, I do not feel that 'transgender' is a political fence or choice where we must define ourselves as for or against an issue. These are human beings who are not like what we have encountered much, if ever in our lives. To be against something that one believes defines a transgender lifestyle is another issue and one currently undefined. I'm curious as to what it is that you are against - because it sounds like it is the difference, the threat to your own understanding of who this person is, socially, to you. To listen respectfully to the article Dr. Turner read to us about gender, it sounds like these people are totally within the realm of 'normalcy' in gender definitions. Minorities, to be sure, but I'm not a geneticist and have never thought about all of this that much, anyway.

Each of us struggle with shifts in our identities as we progress through the various lifestages age shoves us into. It is surprising to me that anyone could argue that transgenders wake up one day and proclaim themselves to be the opposite gender than the majority acknowledges that person to be. Can you imagine the difficulty of feeling like you are NOT the person everyone you know imagines you to be? In some respects, I think that is very difficult to imagine and in others, it is very logical to me. To be outspoken when most of the world expects agreement from you has been my fate. I saw a country guy doing a comedy skit the other night. He was commenting, "They told me I have the right to remain silent. But they didn't know I don't have the ability." I found it to be very funny. This brawly country guy wouldn't normally make me think I've got something in common with him. But I definitely do.

Transgenders are people. If we can slow down our personal judgement of the parents, family members and friends we meet in relation to our classrooms, we have an opportunity to discover worlds we may otherwise never knew exist.

Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:18 pm
All-star
All-star

The transgender people we saw in the video actually had sexaul organs of both males and females. How can anybody argue with that? That is something that is biological. Transgender is also not something that happens all of a sudden. People don't change that much. If their percieved sex bothers them it probably always has and they have probably always wished they were different in some way.

Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:22 pm
All-star
All-star

yeah..its pretty weird....about to weird, for me personally, to talk about it and act like i'm an expert like some seem to be....i'll leave it at that..... :twisted:

Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:17 am
All-star
All-star

First off. You are confusing trans-gendered and trans-sexual. Transgendered is taking on the sociatal roles of the oppisite sex. Transsexual is physically changing your body to become the oppisite sex. They are two compleatly seperate things.
Secondly, just because our society doesn't particularly like or have a place for transgendered or transsexual individuals, doesn’t mean that there aren’t societies that do. There are several Native American cultures that have religious and societal duties to perform. In the Lakota culture, for example, transgendered people, called Two-Spirits, are required to legalize a marriage. [/i]

Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:51 am
All-star
All-star

I think I really do not understand any of it, even after watching the video.

Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:41 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't claim to know all about this issue or even be very familiar with it. I agree with others on this that alternate lifestyles should be respected as a right that people have if they choose. I do not condone it, but I will not tolerate people who condemn those that live alternate lifestyles. I respect their right to do so, and if need be I will defend their right to live the way they want. My personal opinion of this is well defined, but I do not let my personal view come in the way of the rights of others.

Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]