View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 dogs and cats... 
All-star
All-star

Pet lovers: do you consider yourself a dog or cat person?
Would you consider utilizing animals in some aspect of teaching?
What are your favorite characteristics about your favorite creature?
Do you know what breed suits you?

I ask this because
1) I need to start more posts :oops: .
2) I like both dogs and cats - for totally different reasons
3) I consider myself more a "dog person"
4) Because they are typically optimistic creatures, they love pleasing people, they like learning new tricks and playing with others - and they love being outdoors or in, as long as they are close to the ones they love.
5) There is a literacy teacher in the NWest (OR, WA?) who realized her low reading group felt embarrassed reading in front of their peers. She loves dogs and started a literacy project through the local library. She brings professional dogs to the library to sit and listen to these children read stories to them. The results of improvement were dramatic. I'd LOVE to create a program like that sometime in my future if opportunities made it possible.

I have a huge yellow lab named Sunny. We also have an elderly, very smart and sweet Australian shepherd named Smoke. And I have a mild-mannered, elegant-acting (with a NY attitude when she needs it with other cats) black cat named Magi.

Thu Apr 08, 2004 10:21 am
All-star
All-star

more of a dog person. I like most small dogs and a few big dogs. I don't like dogs that shed a lot or stink. I can't have a dog right now because my landlord doesn't like them. I guess I will have to wait until I graduate and move to get a pet.
In elementary school I had a couple of classes i which the class had a class pet that we had to learn about and take care of. This taught us responsibility, teamwork, sharing, and a little bit about biology as well. I think it is a good idea that this kind of thing be continued, but of course you would have to be careful about how you did it.

Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I guess you could say that I am a dog man....even though I don't have a dog now I am partial to dogs because they are filled with unconditional love for their owner(for the most part)......cats just seem sneaky and coniving :twisted: I have only had one cat that I have cared for in my life but there have been many dogs....

Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:18 pm
All-star
All-star

What the literacy teacher did with bringing the dogs in reminds me of therapy dogs. These dogs are brought in often to children or the elderly who are ill. They improve the spirits of these people and sometimes even help them get better. Animals, especially dogs, are comforting. I would imagine that most of the students felt every comfortable reading to them. I do not know if I would personally be able to use dogs or animals in this sense because I am not an "animal person." I would be open to using them though especially after hearing about the literacy teacher's success.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:21 am
All-star
All-star

love dogs. hate cats!! dogs cuddle, listen, and are more fun. cats... stupid, don't listen, don't cuddle, scratch and claw, and are irratating.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:39 pm
All-star
All-star

dog person, they are much easier to take care of sometimes. I think i would use animals in my class room. Probably something like a hamster, and the kids get to take care of it. It would help them learn responsibitly

Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I take offense to the negative comments about cats.(just kidding)But I do feel I may be bias because I have the best kitty in the world. She snuggles with me and loves me. She likes to sleep around my neck like a mink. She is GREAT. She is a long-haired persian and is beautiful inside and out. She doesn't really care for anyone but me though 8) I thing though she acts like a dog, so am I really a dog person. I really love any type of dog. I love shih tzus. I use to have two, Garcie and Dickens. I am going through this stage that I really want a chinese crested dog, but everyone makes fun of me, but I still want one. :lol:

Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:51 pm
All-star
All-star

I am definately more of a dog person. I grew up in a family that is dog crazy. We raise chihuahuas, welsh corgies, and charpet's (i can't spell that one) and i don't even wanna try to count how many dogs we have. plus, when i was little i had a couple bad experiences with cats, so i have never really liked cats. haha.
anyways, i wasn't even gonna post b/c i don't know much about how i could use animals in my teaching...but when i read the thing about the teacher letting students read to dogs, i just thought that was awesome. So i did wanna post on this one and say how cool I thought that was. That is a great idea.

Sat May 01, 2004 11:28 am
All-star
All-star

I'm a cat person. This comes from the fact that I really admire my cat, Dusty. I love that he sits around all day, and will not put up with any interuption. He is the top animal in my neighborhood, I can say this with certainty because he chases the dogs in the neighborhood. He will look at you with the expression of "Do you really think that you are important?" And I have to admire any creature who shows that mush self-absorbsion. So that's why I'm a cat person

And yes I know how badly this message reflects on me.

Sat May 01, 2004 1:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]