View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:15 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 A cross dresser in your classroom.... 
All-star
All-star

What would you do if a male child wore dresses in your classroom?

It could happen........

Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:19 pm
All-star
All-star

If the student was in elementary school, I would take him aside and ask him why he was dressed like he was. After his explaination I would then decide on how I would address the other students about his behavior. If a student was in high school, that individual is probably picked on because of his behavior. Kids can be cruel!! Maybe address the students with "change" and "behavior" -- that its okay to be different. Kids are very sensitive -- so the issue in general would be delicate to handle.

Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:12 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I would ask the student to explain why he is dressed in this manner, but I would never embarass him or do anything to make him feel bad. If he felt comfortable enogh about it I would ask him if he would like to explain his reasons for the way he was dressed to the class. Hopefully this would help students respect his decision rather than being cruel and making fun of him.

Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:36 pm
All-star
All-star

I would ask the student to explain why he is dressed in this manner, but I would never embarass him or do anything to make him feel bad. If he felt comfortable enogh about it I would ask him if he would like to explain his reasons for the way he was dressed to the class. Hopefully this would help students respect his decision rather than being cruel and making fun of him.

Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:38 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't know what I would do....but I would make sure that the child wasn't a distraction to the other kids and even his own learning.... :?: :?:

Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:23 pm
All-star
All-star

Would any higher administration first intervene? It think that students who dressed like that would catch everyone's attention right away and somebody would make sure that they stopped dressing like that. I wish I could say that I would be just fine with a child dressing that way but I think that they would become a HUGE target for the other students to make fun of.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:50 am
All-star
All-star

I have no clue. It is hard to say because i feel like kids do that out of rebellion or something and that is a tough subject.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:56 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with michael on this subject. I think that it is a great idea to have the student tell others about his freedom of expression to help develope a better understanding of it. Alot of students would do this for the attention, some for rebellion, some to see how much they can get away with, and others want to be caught and get in trouble, but i think wearing a dress is the wrong way to go about getting a tough guy image. At my highschool there were a couple of guys that would wear dresses, (from like the waste down), and like some type of grunge t-shirt. For these kids they were trying to make a statement and get recognized. They never caused any problems that I was aware of but i know that they did get picked on and called names alot. I believe that it doesn't matter what a student wears as long as it fits the dress codes and doesn't cause a desraction from learning they will be allowed to wear it.

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:46 am
All-star
All-star

Post hmm
I dont think i would do anything until it got out of hand. If the child wants to wear dress's then i would ask him why he wants to do that, but other than that i would leave it alone. And if it caused problems in class i would seek advice from other teachers or the principal. I dont know if i would go to the parents or not though.

Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:09 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Dudes did wear dresses to my high school! It was more of a hippy thing than a transgender deal, but they still got made fun of a lot. Schools are institutions that are a smaller reflection of the society they exist in. If a man walks around in society wearing a dress, chances are he'll stand out and be made fun of. It's the same deal in school. I kind of feel that if someone makes that choice, and they are in line with the school dress code, it is their right. But if it was taking away from learning time, it may need to be addressed in a one on one conference.

Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:25 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]