View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Sel Esteem 
All-star
All-star

After watching the video in Thursday's class , it made me realize just how much young students are impacted by the media, especially the TV.

What can we do as future teachers to raise our students self- esteem?

Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:22 pm
All-star
All-star

Educate the students.
Explain to the them that pictures from the media have been edited, airbrushed, etc.
Have a guest speaker -- Talk to the students about: Self-Esteem Issues, Nutrition, Body Images, etc.
CONFIDENCE - GOALS! Have the students evaluate themselves -- have them set goals and decide on what can be improved about themselves. Have the students find things they are good at -- ENCOURAGE!!

Sat Apr 10, 2004 6:18 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I agree with Jill. Education is the best way to promote a positive self image. Education helps raise confidence and also would help raise awareness of the negative effects of the media. Teach students to be critical of everything in the media. A student who is critical of the media will be more likely to view things from different angles and rely less on one source.

Mon Apr 12, 2004 8:32 pm
All-star
All-star

I guess the only way i could help my students with their self esteem is to set them up for success in my classroom or gym....i don't mean make something so easy that they don't have to try, but I would need to modify my lessons according to the individuals in my class....in PE there will always be better athletes but if the opportunity is given to others to succeed they will more likely have the confidence to try new things because the will believe in themselve, due to their prior success..

Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:31 pm
All-star
All-star

It is important to give students skills that are rewarding other than things that involve how they look. This includes pride in academics as well as mastering artistic and musical skills. Working in the community through volunteering is another positive thing for students to focus on. The best way to raise self-esteem is to give students the tools to raise it on their own.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:25 am
All-star
All-star

Self esteem is very important for everyone. There are alot of real good ideas that you have presented here to help raise self esteem. I just want to add one more. Have the students make a resume about themselves and all of the great qualities that they have. When I did me resume and had everything together written down it made me look at myself in a higher light. Plus a resume will help them in their future career goals.

Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:56 pm
All-star
All-star

Raising kids self esteem: always give positive feed back. if it has to be negative, start off by saying what was good, then say what was wrong, and then reinforce it with what was good again. that way they wont get so depressed about pointing out the negatives. Dont call them out infront of other kids, pull them to the side and correct their problems. my last thing would be to treat them like they want ot be treated.

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:31 pm
All-star
All-star

Working with children's self-esteem is one of my passions. If I hadn't did Elementary Ed. I wanted to counseling or therapy. I still do something with it and get my Masters somehow in it. Anyway, from every direction kids are hit by the media and either feel not good, pretty, or rich enough to fit in. In my classes I have focused my projects and work on student's improving self-esteem and image. I struggle with just like everyone does. The thing that I think is the key to it all or a start is education. By Vickie watching the video she realized the impact of media on a child's self esteem. I think by us the teachers realizing this we may be in turn can help educate the students and let them know being themselves is OK and that it's TV and magazine and that we are not actually there and see what takes place.

Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]