View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Special populations 
All-star
All-star

The discussions about diversity has led me to think about people with handicaps, learning disabilities, and behavioral problems. As a physical education teacher we are required according to public law 94-142 to teach physical education to all students. We cover this in great detail in our classes. I want to know what are other future teachers' (your) thoughts regarding inclusion of special populations in the classrooms?

Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:34 pm
All-star
All-star

I think we should include everyone in physical education in some way. The teacher should try to be creative if there is a child with a major disability. I think that physical education takes away from the classroom stress and is a way for children to socialize and have fun without worrying about tests and worksheets. Everyone should be included in that stress-free environment.

Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:39 pm
All-star
All-star

Ok, so I read your post wrong. Haha! I think that children with special needs do need to be in the classroom. I don't think its fair to have them go out of the classroom all the time to work with someone one on one. I do agree with them leaving maybe once a day for 30 minutes or so to work with a special ed. teacher, but I don't think they should be excluded from the classroom. It seems like they would feel like an outsider to the class and I don't want any child to feel that way. They also might not understand why they have to constantly leave a classroom when the other children don't.

Mon Mar 29, 2004 4:42 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that inclusion is important in the classroom. Often though, teachers are not trained to work with special needs students and this really hurts the students who are in that situation. If a teacher cannot balance both the inclusion students and the regular students, the environment will not be a positive one. Ideally, I think that there should be another adult in the classroom that could assist the regular teacher with students who needed lots of extra help and attention.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:15 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]