View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:33 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Weather and Students 
All-star
All-star

Since it is April and snowing, I thought I would post a topic about weather and it's affects on students. From what I have seen when I was in high school and even in college, the weather determines what attitudes students are going to have in the classroom. When it's nice outside, kids tend to not want to be there, but they are in good moods. Days like today (snowy and cold), kids have the sleepy, hateful, don't get along with anybody attitude.

Do you agree or disagree?

Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:00 am
All-star
All-star

Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:40 pm
All-star
All-star

I TOTALLY AGREE!! I KNOW MY ADDITUDE... IS TO SIT HERE..AND NOT GO TO MY CLASSES..BUT OH WELL!!!

Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:48 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

AGREE --- I hate Boone weather!! It's so unpredictable -- plus I always get sick. With the weather being cold and snowing one minute, and sunny the next I always end up sick. Just this week, I managed to catch a cold or a bug from the dramatic changes in the weather. When it is snowing, I love to stay in my cozy bed were its nice and warm. With it being nice and sunny out I love to go outdoors. I know its boone, but I just wish it would stay warm for at least a week!! School policies should be more understanding with the weather being such a issue!! I know plenty of kids who stay out of school for days at a time because they never can get over being sick. The weather plays a major role in this, and I just wish people in the school system could realize this.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:22 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

The weathe does affect stundent's attendance and moods in the class as well as their well-being. The weather is something we have no controll over. I think it is important for a person to try to stay healthy and sick free. Given that it is not always avoidable there are some ways you can help yourself stay sick free. take a multivitamin each day, load up on your vitiamin C for oranges, exercise is also way to help keep your immune system up plus it promotes general health and since of well-being even if you are sick. As for Boone I think I love it up here because of the weather changes. I love calling my friends in South Carolina in April and say hey man it's SNOOOOOOWING!!!

Thu Apr 15, 2004 2:38 pm
All-star
All-star

This is so true. I know I feel by the weather.

Thu Apr 22, 2004 1:36 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that snow and weather that causes students to get out of school is incredibly disruptive. Students and teachers get so off track and then have to get back on track in the time that they could have done something else. Personally, I like getting out for weather usually because we don't have to make up classes. When I do have to make up something or if it will cause me to get really behind I don't like it though.

Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:28 pm
All-star
All-star

True dat....Hard to go to class when it snows...hard to sit through class if its 80 and i could be on my bike....

Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:24 am
All-star
All-star

For me, it all depends on what type of snow there is. If it's a wet snow, then I would rather be inside dry and warm (even if that means in a classroom). But if it's a dry, powder snow, I hate to be anywhere but playing in the snow or snuggling up in a warm room with some hot chocolate.

Wed Apr 28, 2004 10:19 am
All-star
All-star

I agree, this weather taht we are having now makes me not want to go.
I remember rainy days in middle school, nothing was ever accomplished. And on sunny days neither. I can't imagine going to school up here where you get out of school just about every other day during the winter

Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:39 pm
All-star
All-star

the weather definately has an effect on students, as well as teachers i'd say. i know sometimes my mood is affected by the weather. but kids have to go to school, ya know? unless the weather becomes a danger, that is. so i guess the most important thing is for teachers to keep the weather and its effects on people in mind...and be ready to ward off possible disruptive behaviors in students in the best way they can, and also just to be more understanding of the situation.

Wed Apr 28, 2004 5:20 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree. Having lived in the NC mountains my whole life, I understand how frustrating the weather can be on a student. I guess I will soon find out what a teacher's perspective is when I get my own classroom.

Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:08 pm
All-star
All-star

I have to agree, though I hate sweating almost as much as I hate most oral surgery. For real, I hate it. Hate it. Be mindful of that when you teach. There have been numerous classes I have attended when a teacher takes the class outside for a nicer setting. And I could go without that for the rest of my life. Papers fly, I get sunburn, most peoples cloths get messed up by sitting in dirt, many students don’t know how to behave let alone pay attention. Just remember when you are teaching, you will always have students who would rather just stay inside. Allergies, bee stings, sunburn . . . you have to be careful. And that child who wants to stay in would never say a word because he or she would be too frightened of their peer’s retribution for keeping them inside.

Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]