View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 kindergarden 
All-star
All-star

is kindergarden worth having? when my mom and dad was in school they didn't have kindergarden. just a thought to throw out

Wed Apr 14, 2004 1:42 pm
All-star
All-star

I definately believe Kindergarden is worth having. The kids get so much experience by simply being around other kids their own age. Plus the kids are introduced to "school". Most kids attend head start programs before they go to school -- kindergarden is very similar. Even though I don't remember much about kindergarden, it introduced me to other kids, new learning activities, my abc's ... etc. I know that most kids learn these things in first grade, but kindergarden is definately a starting point for the kids to become aquainted with their schools' expectations.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:10 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

ITs funny you would ask this. I saw a child i used to babysit this weekend, who is starting kindergarten In august. She is VERY smart. She knows her ABC's and 123's and can carry on a coversation with the best of them. SHe scored as high as a six year old and she is only 4 years and 11months. (The test was the kind. prescreeening test). She needs the social skills more than anything. She neeeds to learn to be around other children and learn to share her time and toys. I think that the social aspect is so important even as you move up in elementary, middle and high school.

Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:43 pm
All-star
All-star

I think it is very important for children to recieve this as part of their education. I remeber lots form K like how to read write do some math colring , learned colors how to get along with others not to mention all the relationships that were formed that helped me get through those early years of life. Besides I saw my kindergarden girlfriend for the first time since kindergarde, my second year of college here at valle crucis elementary school tutoring kindergarders.

Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:20 am
All-star
All-star

K is def necessary... along with pre-k for the students that need additional socialization and academic instruction. my sis is a pre-k teacher this yr.. a k teacher last yr.. those students NEED IT!!! SOME OF HER STUDENTS CAN'T EVEN SAY THEIR ABC'S 1/2 WAY THROUGH K.. THEY NEED IT!!

Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:33 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I think that kindergarten is worth having, but if a parent doesn't want their child to go to kindergarten, then they don't have to make them go. Legally, a child, in NC, does not have to start school before the age of 6, so they don't HAVE to go to kindergarten. However, I think that the parent should make sure that their child is prepared for the first grade because there is a lot done in kindergarten.

Sun Apr 18, 2004 6:12 pm
All-star
All-star

Kindergarten is so worth having. I work in a kindergarten class on Tues. and Thurs. mornings and the things these haved learned is amazing. I agree with everyone that added the benefits of kindergarten. Kids need all the schooling they can get I think. Some children have parents that hardly work with them or none at all and on the flip side some parents are already teaching their kids to read before school. All kids are all different levels and kindergarten helps tweak those levels. Kindergarten, I think benefits all children in some way.

Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:40 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe that kindergarten is useful for both parents and students. If a child has been raised at home, then it is a chance to meet other people. It also prepares very active children for the seditary life of a classroom. Besides, kindergarted in ment to be fun. I loved kindergaten. And this positive experience with school will help them feel good about school for years after that year. It also helps to give the parents and their students time apart. It is common for parents to feel incomplete when their child goes to school. Kindergarten is a place where parents can be weaned off of being around their child all day.

Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:19 pm
All-star
All-star

As far as the academic part of kindergarten, my mom teaches kindergarten but used to teach first grade about 8 years ago. She says that kindergarten is now a lot like first grade. They learn so much that some students cannot keep up because they are too young. That means that students are not doing as well.

Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:52 pm
All-star
All-star

I think kindergarten is worth having. It helps kids develop social skills. Kindergarten is also where they get their first dose of elementary school. I think its important for kids to be able to be eased into school and have some idea of what they are learning and not just thrown into first grade, and expect to know how to read, write, and everything else you learn in kindergarten. So i say keep it.

Tue Apr 27, 2004 2:52 pm
All-star
All-star

Kindergarten is worth it....up until that age kids don't know what the idea of a classroom is.....I feel it is a transition period to show the kids what some of the expectations will be of them in the next 13 years....I also think that preschool, before K, is important to the kids social behavior and gives them an oportunity to interact with other kids.....

Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]