View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Work and School 
All-star
All-star

I have a job that I work anywhere from 25 hours a week to 40 hours a week. In the last month, the assistant manager quit, so I have had to pick up her hours until we find a new assistant manager. Because of this issue, I have missed some classes that I should have gone too. I posted this topic, because many students have to juggle school and a job like me. How can we as educators be more understandable with issues such as mine? Or should we? I love my job and my boss -- and I took the position thinking that I could work around my school schedule, but since we lost a manager .... work has demanded most of my time. Any suggestions?

Wed Apr 14, 2004 5:59 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I too am struggling holding a job and 19 hours of school. I think the most important thing for me to remember is that I am here to go to school not to work. BUT then if i don't work...no rent...no place to live.
I think its important to understand for our students but its important for the boss to understand also. I guess as future educators, we kind of think that our part of their lives should be most important (like the thing we say when we have too much homework: don't they know we have other things to do). Its all circumstantial. I guess. I kinda went around in a circle.
Sorry

Wed Apr 14, 2004 9:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe that school is most important and that should be the student's responsibility. As a teacher if we worry about each and every student we teach and try to accomidate each on of them then we would not have any time left to prepare and to teach. I believe that it is the student's responsibility to work with their boss and make their boss understand that they have school and can't under any circumstances work certian hours. If the boss isn't understanding of that then i wouldn't want to work for them anyways. As a teacher we need to be understanding and sympathetic to a students needs but we don't have to change everything for them.

Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:02 am
All-star
All-star

You cannot see the benefits of school the way that you can see the immediate benifit of money in your hand from work. I think that it is important to help students look down the road at the bigger picture and how slacking off on schoolwork in order to work at a job will affect them in the future.

Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:27 pm
All-star
All-star

I hope in my future as a teacher that I can be understand of situations such as yours....but, i guess if the school want to keep order and organization they have to set specific criteria for things such as attendance and grading based on attendance so that the teachers can plan and manage there classes based on the number of students that they have....school is important and work is important....the only suggestion that i can offer is the setting of priorities and doing what you have to do to live life the way you think is best...

Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:13 am
All-star
All-star

I have to admit that I hate missing so many things (time with friends and family, performances, sleep) because I work more hours than I'm doing school work. From this personal experience, I would more than likely be understanding of a student who was always tired in class or let some of his/her school work slip. But this understanding would come in the form of discussing time management with the student. And if time management didn't help, then a discussion of priorities would be in order. So even though I understand the problems, I as a teacher, must still require a certain level of performance from all of my students.

Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:09 am
All-star
All-star

its always good in almost every situation to try to be understanding of a students problems and try to help them out however you can...but if we're teaching public school, its the law that students go. so if a student starts missing too often, there's no much you can really do about it. try to be understanding of their situation, but also try to convey to them that they _have_ to come to school, and that they might have to have someone else at work take those hours.

Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:10 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that educators should be understanding of students' problems. I think that educators should work with students as much as possible, but they have to draw a line somewhere. If the student is engaged in class and trying as hard as possible, then I think that educators should be more understanding. Sometimes educators just have to be tough and help teach students responsibility. It all depends on the situation I guess.
For those of you who work and go to school, I have great respect for you. I am 21 yrs old, have been married since entering college 3 years ago, and work over 30 hours a week. I know what it feels like to have no time for anything. I have went nights without sleeping to get things done. I think that there should be some sort of counseling office for students in our situation that can help us out and mediate with instructors if necessary.

Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]