View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Behind the SAT 
All-star
All-star

I agree with the author that the SAT is biased and does help in creating a whole new type of social class. Alot of the questions and the way things are worded reflect things of the higher society culture. Hell when I took the SAT i thought it stood for saturday because that is when I had to take the test. What are your thoughts.

Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:36 am
All-star
All-star

the SAT... AHHHHH!!!!!!!... give me a break! It is the most overrated thing in a students career!!! How can a SAT determine how well a student will succeed. It can help define intelligence in two areas.. but what about the other thousands of things they could know. I feel that Multiple Intelligences exist and the SAT sux! My 1090 has nothing to do with how I'm doing now in college! As far as it being bias, I totally agree with that also!

Thu Apr 15, 2004 11:43 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I think that the SAT sucks! I don't think that one test should determine your career path or college. I think that it is biased and should be done away with entirely. I can do a lot of damage by hampering a student's post secondary education process. I think that it is overrated and worthless.

Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:24 pm
All-star
All-star

I guess I've never thought as much as I should have about the SAT. I took it and did alright on it so I didn't give it much thought. I must confess that I'm a cynic (sp?) and would like to look into the supposed biases on it. Not that they don't exist, I'm sure they do. I'd just like to know more about them to make a judgement on that. But I do think that entirely too much focus is placed on tests like that. I mean, its necessary to measure students progress and accountability to an extent, just as it is for teachers...but I think that quite often we take an idea that is good in its origins and let it run away with us. And that is what we have done with standardized tests. We took something that was intended to make sure we, as educators, were doing our jobs and made it into an obstacle and a hurdle for students and teachers alike.

Fri Apr 30, 2004 7:20 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't think the SATs test a damn thing. I suck at taking tests, especially multiple choice ones that last all day. All i did taking the SATs was pick an answer. I didn't know a lot of them and i didn't want to think about them because it was 8 am on saturday and i knew i was going to be there all day. The only thing i learned from that test was that tests like that are a bunch of crap and they need to be thrown out!

Sat May 01, 2004 11:19 am
All-star
All-star

I took the test once in the spring of my jr. year in high school because I was told that I had to or I could never go to college. To me it was just one more piece of the bs required to do anything in our society.

Sat May 01, 2004 1:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]