View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Braclets in the Middle School 
All-star
All-star

Once again, I was discussing issues with my roommate and she informed me about "the bracelets". She told me that middle school students were wearing different color bracelets that represented different sexual acts!!! At first I did not believe her .... middle school students!?!?! Then she proceeded to tell me the teacher who told her this and the school he taught at!! What is going on here? If he knows about it, why is nothing being done in the school to stop this!!! Has anyone else heard of this issue???

Mon Apr 19, 2004 12:22 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I haven't heard anything about that. I guess I could say that I am not shocked, but in today's world everything seems to go on. Can you say what school this is at? or Is it around the area?

Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:36 pm
All-star
All-star

i never heard anything like that, but i think that is very weird. I think it is awkard to have students show how far they've been.

Mon Apr 19, 2004 4:46 pm
All-star
All-star

I have heard about those bracletts, but i heard about it a while ago. I dont understand how a teacher would let this continue to go on. But in schools they banned wearing bracletts to those schools. Why do middle school students need to show what sexual things they do. They shouldnt be doing anything sexual anyways. They shouldnt even be thinking about that.

Mon Apr 19, 2004 7:24 pm
All-star
All-star

In all honesty, what could the teacher do? It is not against school code to wear braceletts. And would you want to explain to a bunch of parents what you suspect their children are doing? In my middle school and high school the parents would get a teacher fired for accusations like that. Like it or not you can not stop these students from doing anything. When I was in middle school people were already bragging about sexual conquests. 90% of it was just that, talk. It's a pride and social standing thing. It has been in our society for a long time. So I would personally do nothing about it.

Mon Apr 19, 2004 9:07 pm
All-star
All-star

i guess today everthing is happening for kids earlier...pro sports, sex, cell phones....i guess their keeping up with the times :?

Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:28 am
All-star
All-star

seriously...i think that is terrible. i had heard about bracelets like that before, too, but when it got brought up on here i thought i'd take the time to ask if anybody knows anything that actually could be done about it? and a few posts back it was mentioned that parents might try to get you fired for making accusations like that...but surely for teachers with a few years under their belt they couldn't get fired for something simple like that could they? i was just curious if there was anything that a teacher could do about things like that, if anybody knows.

Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:03 pm
All-star
All-star

So I have thought this issue over, and I believe that the teachers could do something about the braclets w/o accussing anyone or pointing fingers. For one thing, they could educate the students about sex -- maybe even bring in a health worker to provide the students with statistics/facts about STDs, AIDS, HIV, etc. Once the students are made aware of the facts maybe it could cut down on students being sexually active at such a young age. And its not just happening in one specific region. The issue of sexually active teens has been in the news for the last month. Something definately needs to be done!

Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:27 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I know about this issue. I have a family member in junior high who wore these bracelets. It is really out of the teachers jurisdiction. There is nothing a teacher can do but inform parents/guidance counselors about it.

Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:47 pm
All-star
All-star

I have to agree with Michael, not much can be done. Drawing attention to it is a huge risk for any teacher. For myself, I would be frightened to suggest such a thing to the students’ parents. I have no idea what I would do in that situation.

Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:56 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]