View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Student teaching.... 
All-star
All-star

I don't know what percentage of the class, if any, is student teaching next semester.....for those who are, are you ready....i was only wandering if ASU and its education program has prepared you for the real world....my final class in PE is a combination CI and PE class in which we have done an internship and of the five years i have been here it has been the most valuable....the instances that i taught within the program seemed to be a perfect teaching situation(college students, no disipline problems,etc).... unlike what i getting ready to face.... :?: does college prepare us for the real world :?: :?:

Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:06 am
All-star
All-star

I don't start student teaching till the spring, but I do have my internship in the fall, and I am in no way ready to teach a class. All the classes I have taken to this point are all theoretical. There is very little practical infromation in the bunch. If I'm the one who will actually have a degree in education, and I have no clue as to how to teach, I can't imagine how those teachers who do lateral entry feel before the first day of class. So I gues that my answer is no I am not prepared for the real world.

Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:00 am
All-star
All-star

i start my student teaching next spring also, and i would have to say that i _personally_ don't feel ready to start teaching. however, i'm hoping that my practicum in the fall will make me feel more comfortable with the idea. i've had a bit more hands-on practice than most people by this point b/c of the requirements that the Teaching Fellows program makes me go through. but even now, i don't feel comfortable. i'm going to have to say that, i think a large portion of it is that no class will be able to "prepare" you to go in front of a group of students that can either accept and help you, or rip you to little shreds right there in the classroom. its something that you're just gonna have to jump into headfirst and learn to swim. that's what i think, anyway.

Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:18 pm
All-star
All-star

Some of my classes have prepared me for teaching, but some have been worthless for practicality. I still have another semester to go, but I don't think that one semester will fulfill my expectations for the ASU secondary education program. Hopefully I will have a great mentor as an ILT who can teach me practical stuff.

Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:55 pm
All-star
All-star

I don’t know if I will ever be fully ready for my first year or student teaching. That is quite a stepping stone. I just have to hope that the mixture of my training, my personal fuel, and my maturity are enough to get me through. I am no that worried about not being able to hack it, I guess up until that day and through that first year, I will be on my toes and rolling with the punches.

Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]