View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 What if? 
All-star
All-star

My roommate was telling me about her brother's fiancee's son the other day. He is in the 2nd grade and every morning he watches the news with Michael (my roommate's brother). Michael explains to Seth what is going on so he will understand. After that, Seth will usually watch cartoons. Seth goes to a school that is mostly rich white kids. Acouple of weeks ago, one of the other students was picking on him about something and Seth said "Well i'm just gonna tie bombs to me and blow me up!" OK...he wasn't serious for one thing. The teacher flipped the hell out and Seth has been going to a psychiatrist (sorry about spelling) for the last two weeks. I mean ok...what does Wylie Coyote do EVERYDAY on that cartoon....any guesses...umm fall off cliffs and blow himself up! The teacher says that Seth is "too young to watch the news." I'm sorry, but this whole thing hit a nerve with me. Instead of the teacher asking where Seth heard blowing himself up, she flipped out and sent him to the office. Oh, by the way, the rich white kid didn't get in trouble or even asked about him picking on Seth. What would ya'll do if a 2nd grader said this?

Sat May 01, 2004 11:30 am
All-star
All-star

In today's world, I think that everybody is really edgey and jumpy. Everybody has learned to be really really uptight. Nobody wants to be the person who might have missed the warning signs of the next Columbine. We don't think about it much, but events like Columbine and 9/11 have made us all very, very edgey.
That probably explains a bit of why the teacher flipped out. However...her reaction seems a bit ridiculous to me. I mean...its one thing to be wary of a high school student who says "I'm gonna bring a gun to school." Its another thing entirely to take something like that "blow myself up" thing said by a 2nd grader too far. I used to tutor first graders, and one of them told me and Zack that he was a ninja who had trained for hundreds of years within the very center of Zack's eye. I tutored a kindergarten student once who used to sometimes pop out with very vulgar things. Little kids just say things sometimes that they hear or see on television. Its ok to be cautious of dangers in education today...but another thing entirely to go overboard.

Sat May 01, 2004 12:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]