View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 What is wrong with teachers? 
All-star
All-star

After reading Gatto's article about teachers in the United States I'm now really concerned about becoming a teacher. Gatto made it seem like there is no creativity in the classroom. Teachers only adhere to the standards set by the state/nation. They are pressured to fit these requirments and to teach only what they are recommended to. It seems to me that there is no freedom in teaching(going by this article). I don't know about anyone else, but I don't want that kind of pressure on me. I want to teach what I want to teach, and I want to teach it the way I want to. Lke the article alluded to, teaching can be compared to prison. What do ya'll think about this article? If this article reveals what teaching is about, then do you want to be confined to a job like this?

Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:33 pm
All-star
All-star

Brandon, I do agree this article was disturbing. However, I believe that our generation of teachers can break out from those prison walls. We do have a voice... A loud voice. I challenge you to succeed in making the curriculm work and by doing it in a creative way.

Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that it is important to break the wall down and influence teaching in a positive way. this is somethhing i keep thinking: these are the facts...make it work. Its kinda like when given lemons...make lemonade. Make lemonade out of the curriculum. Yes we have to teach certain subjects...BUT...put your self into these subjects. Take control over the curriculum don't let the curriculm take control over you.

Fri Jan 30, 2004 9:28 pm
All-star
All-star

Ever since I have decided to teach, my mom has been 100% behind me. She always tells me how much of a good teacher I am going to be (she, by the way is also a teacher). That encourages me into teaching. Sometimes I go back to my high school and help some of my former teachers with whatever they need help with. And sometimes, like at lunch, I hear teachers complain about their students, when progress reports should go out, having to stay after school late, meetings, etc, and this discourages me some, but then I remember that I am in the new generation of teachers coming into the teaching profession. Amy, you're right in saying that we need to break down the wall and influence teaching in a positive way!!

Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:23 am
All-star
All-star

I just wanted to say that I am so excited to hear there are other people in here that feel this way! I have really been having a frustrating time too! It's a strange sensation being a part of the educational system while training to be a leader in it, only to make the best out of it, and hopefully improve how it works from the inside! I have been trying to talk to my friends about this, but you guys are totally right! All we need is a good positive outlook! I truly believe in the power of numbers & if we all work together towards a better way of thinking, then the entire educational community will benefit from our enthusiasm! Do you think the teachers who are complaining are just burned out? Are they tired of trying? Do they need a refresher course? Tell me what you think... :idea:

Sun Feb 08, 2004 11:33 pm
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

I would love to be able to say that the teachers are burnt out or that the don't want to teach and that's why there is only boring geometricly designed classes, but I know that it's not true. Before comming to Appalachian, I asked several of my high school teachers why they teach. And why classes aren't fun. I got the answer that these teachers want to help the next generation grow up to be productive well-informed individuals. And the reason that classes are dull is because they are trying to get everyone to pass the standardized testing. Even my 12th grade english teacher was focused on teaching the standard course of study and the required Senior Exit Project, not on making it a fun experience along the way. I guess that some teachers are just stressed and trying to do everythig that is expected of them. And the first thing that gets lost is creativity.

Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]