View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 In my opinion.... 
All-star
All-star

:idea: ....Well, I now have gotten through the first few reading in the text and there seems to be some interesting points of view....I guess it was the first reading that really got me interested in the book....As a son of two teacher these points of view and comments about teachers filled my childhood and and are still prevelant in my life today....the only thing I see wrong with the current American teacher is Lack of respect....in my opinion teaching should be one of the highest paying professions....someone had to "TEACH" all these people, with negative comments about teachers, how to do what they do, to make a living....So what do ya'll think about it :?:

Tue Jan 27, 2004 9:20 pm
All-star
All-star

My mom taught for 33+ years and I agree that teachers lack respect. The appropriate pay should be much higher than it is and has been for the time, energy and dedication the career demands - and for the immense ripple effect teaching has on the countless lives every teacher influences.

Wed Jan 28, 2004 12:24 am
All-star
All-star

Teachers are lacking respect, but not just in a money sense. They are also lacking respect by their pupils. I've been in numerous classrooms and around numerous kids. To me, it seems that more and more kids lack a respect for their elders/teachers. They back talk and they don't listen. Alot of them have no discipline what so ever(i'm speaking both of rich, middle, and poor kids).

Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:50 pm
All-star
All-star

I challenge all future teachers to challenge this lack of respect. We need to demand it from not only our students , but also from those over us. I am probably the least demanding person on earth, but I say lets give new meaning to that word. Let's work hard, have faith, and demand of ourselves to be the best teachers we can be. With this attitude, I believe we will eventually gain the respect this profession deserves.

Wed Jan 28, 2004 11:16 pm
All-star
All-star

It's too bad that teaching is considered a professional profession, yet others outside teaching do not treat it as so. I know of teachers who love what they do with all their heart and put soooo much effort into their work, yet they are treated as a nobody. When I went to buy a new desktop computer over the tax free holiday this past August, the sales guy at Best Buy asked me what I was majoring in. When I told him English Education, he laughed and said, "I'm sorry." I was offended and told him so. So I didn't buy my computer from him but from another guy. People just don't understand teaching unless they have been there. I know that every one can't do every job or try every job, but there needs to be some respect for a profession that is considered professional, and with teaching, that respect is not always there.

Fri Feb 06, 2004 12:01 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that teachers have to earn respect if they want respect. Student's can spot a teachers weaknesses in .5 seconds. They can tell if the teacher is nervous, unprepared and winging it, what the teacher expects and who the teachers "favorites" are. However, studenhts also can zone in on the teachers who actually care about them and respect them. I have found that treating students like young adults, talking to them like adults, valueing their opinions and what they have to say, and catering lessons to the needs and personalities of the students ... gains respect in a classroom enviornment.
I agree that teachers are not treated like professionals. However, if teachers start to dress like professionals, attend conferences and meetings, and present themselves to the working world around them in a professional manner... I think that this can be overcome. Instead of refering to your fellow teacher as Ms. or Mr. So and So who teaches the language arts classroom... Refer to your fellow teachers as your colleagues who are making leaps and bounds by implementing .... If you think about a professional you see an image of buisness suits, a certain type of professional banter, and a sense of importance about their demeanor. The stereotypical teacher look is that of jump suits, jeans and sweatshirts, and an overall frazzled look. If people present themselves to the world around them as professionals they will be treated like professionals.
However, I feel that teachers need to be more worried about what goes on in their class rooms and the impact that they make on the students in their classroom. What is more important? the impact you make on a life or What other professionals think about you?

Fri Feb 06, 2004 4:14 pm
All-star
All-star

I completely agree that teachers are lacking a great deal of respect! We all see this everyday in our classes. A couple of years ago in one of my English classes we were talking about careers. This guy started talking about how teaching would the easiest job, that all teachers have to do is play with kids all day. I just listened and when he was finished, I informed him that he had no clue what a teachers job would be like. I asked him if he would want to be a teacher with himself as a student, he got real quiet. I told him that I felt teachers had to work twice as hard during college and then just as hard to maintain a classroom. After that day I carried my bag that states"Without teachers other professions would not be possible!"

Sun Feb 08, 2004 5:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]