View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:32 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 the readings 
All-star
All-star

Okay, I just finished ALL of our readings, it only took me all night long. Even though I know I have been through it all, I feel like I probably overlooked or didn't take in just as much as I did. I think it would be a good idea for us to just post parts of the readings that we found interesting or maybe the ones we didn't understand, that way we can help each other out.
The first article about what's wrong with American teachers really annoyed me. The parts where the author compared teachers to old circus dogs and said that teachers want to have little or no contact with students was ridiculous to me. I understand that there are teachers out there that this may be true about, but I feel like the author of this article took it too far. I have to admit however, the article sparked my interest and got my attention, which is exactly what it was meant to do. So if this is a form of reverse psychology I guess it worked on me. Otherwise, I think this author should speak for him or herself because wonderful teachers, schools, and students DO exsist and I can't stand such pessimistic outlooks!
I found the article on obedience VERY interesting. The fact that these people would actually stand there and continue to shock other humans just because someone tells them to is absurd. Can't people make their own decisions about their life and actions?

Tue May 25, 2004 10:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

People can think for themselves.... but I think that to do so requires a special type of education. I think that it is easy for our schools to produce conforming masses for several reasons, including the significance of peer pressure to look and act the same; the way that students and sometimes even teachers look down upon the notion of a student using nontraditional approaches, presenting nontraditional ideas, or asking difficult questions... and then just the fact that our curr. is very much founded upon black and white, right or wrong, working towards a defined perfect. It takes a great deal of effort therefore to convince some students that it's ok to be unique, to have an opinion, to stand up for it. How to go about instilling that... I think about that a lot. I think that a lot of it starts with being open-minded yourself.... you know? Like in math - seeing a student's non-textbook approach as another possibility rather than not right.

Wed May 26, 2004 7:51 am
All-star
All-star

There were some strong parts of that article (Better Lessons) that really agreed with me. I found the comment that "teachers teach who they are; if they are incomplete people, they reproduce their incompleteness in their students" to be very true with some of my observations of other teachers. Those that lack knowledge in certain areas or personality really rub off. You can learn possibly just as much from a terrible teacher while student teaching as you can from a really good one. Sometimes learning what not to do through observing is more effective than remembering what the teachers did right. I tend to remeber what I did incorrectly or what I should have approved upon more easily then what I did well. I always struggle toward self-improvement, I think every teacher should be passionate about teaching and want to be a life long learner.

I also agree that teaching is "some kind of connection between people," yet not all teachers will connect with all students, but connection is something to strive for. I also think that parents make excellent teachers and their personal concerns about their childs education can be a forerunner for their home educational schooling.

Wed May 26, 2004 11:27 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The Articles, Bitter Lessons... and Why Johnny can't disobey, I found to be overexagerated. In bitter lessons I felt like the article read like a call for teachers to wage war with each other. I agree with the author that there is a problem in our system however I do not agree that it is our incompleteness as individuals that creates the problem. It is not our lack of family ties or faith in God and it is not our lack of tradition or independant nature. I, however, do believe that it is the idea that these things hinder us from becoming great teachers and connecting with our students that is the problem. I speak for myself in saying that my ability to connect with an individual is based on the sole fact that we are human beings. I just think that the article was very drastic, but I agree with Jenny in saying I think that it was written to get our attention. It got mine and angered me a little too! As for the article on obedience.... I think these authors are taking their points to extremes. I feel that in school a certain level of obedience and individuality can be taught at the same time. I do not agree that we are creating a generation of lambs to be coaxed and sent off to the slaugter house. Though, once again, the article drew me in. From these articles I can't decide which is worse, someone who overdramatizes the plight of teachers or someone who doesn't take it seriously enough and where do I fit in that continum. See you all in class!

Wed May 26, 2004 12:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel like everything we read in my education classes is to turn us away from teaching!!!!!!! :cry: I guess the reality of it does kind of suck!

Wed May 26, 2004 1:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am right there with you Staci, I am constantly reading things and I keep thinking to myself if this is how it is really going to be and that terrifies me. I guess it is a good thing we know about it before we go out there. I just wish that we could read something good about teaching instead of something that will make us run away screaming.

Wed May 26, 2004 6:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In regards to the readings, I particularly enjoyed "Why Can't Johnny Disobey?" It made me reconsider parts of my ideal classroom management plan. I don't want to contribute to creating completely docile humans! I feel like I will be a fairly strict teacher, but after reading this article realize the need every now and then to allow some freedom of expression within the classroom. I'll just have to find the right balance :roll:

Wed May 26, 2004 8:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You know, I feel the same way when I'm reading or in class sometimes - but then whenever I actually go out and am in a classroom, all of my fears and doubts vanish.

As far as the classroom management - I think that teachers often have ridiculous expectations of students, especially the little ones. It is just not in the nature of a kindergartener to sit still for hours on end without talking. I think that we have to allow a little chaos - it's only healthy. There can be controlled chaos; you know? You can keep things safe and functional without being overly restrictive.... seems to me that students might even learn more if they could relax a little bit?

Wed May 26, 2004 9:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This particular article was disturbing to me. I do not agree with some of his/her opinions. There are teachers out there that do care about the students. I do believe that there are teachers out there who are trying to make a difference for the child and society.

Wed May 26, 2004 10:27 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you guys about these articles. For the most part, they seem very pessimisitic, especially the first article. Sometimes I find myself asking the question of why it is that I want to go into a field that seemingly has so little respect from anyone, sometimes even fellow teachers. But then I tell myself that I really do want to help children get a good start in their education (Child Development major) and that I can be a good, caring teacher. I do wish that we were reading more positive and inspirational articles that will help us have a better outlook at our future.

Wed May 26, 2004 10:35 pm
All-star
All-star

would you rather not know about the negatives and be hit with them after you begin teaching?

Thu May 27, 2004 10:02 am
All-star
All-star

No, I like to learn about the ups and downs of teaching but I do feel that some of the articles were too extreme and exaggerated. I think it would be better to be more realistic.

Thu May 27, 2004 11:22 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 12 posts ]