View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:53 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Year-round Schools 
All-star
All-star

I wanted to start a discussion and get your viewpoints on the pros and cons of year-round schooling. I have done much research into the topic and would like to see what everyone else has to say about it. By the way I am a big perponent of implementing year-round schools, however, I know there are many opposed. What is your opinion.

Wed May 26, 2004 1:41 pm
All-star
All-star

I am not for it. It would interfere with trout fishing.

Wed May 26, 2004 1:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am split between year-round schools. But for the most part I do not think it is such a great idea. Both kids and teachers need that summer off to rest and have fun before going back into schools for 9-10 months. I know that I hate summer school and I am ready for a long break before going back in the fall and small kids need a break too or they will feel like they are ALWAYS in school and sometimes that turns them away from it. It can be good for parents who cannot really afford someone to watch their child in the summer but to me that is punishing a child. Children need their education, don't get me wrong, but they also need a little time off to be kids.

Thu May 27, 2004 7:32 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that a child's development and learning comes from much more than just school. There are so many experiences that can happen in a long summer with a break from routine that can really make a difference in a child's life. True, all children won't have such opportunities... but I know that for me the summer meant being set loose outside to explore the woods and creeks, having time to visit my grandparents and cousins, getting to see more of my mom and dad. I think that right now there is a real tendency for people to not let kids be kids - it seems that every year parents and teachers are giving them more responsiblities, more activities, pushing curriculum back earlier, giving them more homework, expecting them to be more like "little adults" than a developing child. If they become locked into school and routines year-round with no chance to just let go and be a child the way that a long summer allows... couldn't that be a little dangerous? Just a thought.

Thu May 27, 2004 8:13 am
All-star
All-star

The idea of year-round schooling is fine by me. I would like to see some type of business/industry and school relationship developed to allow for longer weekends and have school breaks and business/industry holidays meshed together. I don't really expect for businesses to completely shut down but that does happen in other parts of the world.

Thu May 27, 2004 8:25 am
All-star
All-star

Many people have the misconception of year-round schooling being "year-long" schooling. Students and teachers still attend school for the same amout of time as they do in the traditional school year. The benifit of year-round schools is that you get short breaks throughout the entire year. From my previous experience teaching, students would stop by the school in July and remark that they "were bored and wanted to come back to school" I think that the summer vaction as it now stands is just too long. The current schedule was originally developed when we were a agrarian society; when children were needed at home to help on the farm, this is not the case any longer. I truly believe that having short breaks throughout the year would greatly reduce both teacher and student "burn-out".

Sun May 30, 2004 3:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I haven't really thought about the issue that much since I've entered college. At the time when it did affect me I didn't want anything to do with year round school. I think a lot of kids feel the same way. They don't want to lose their summers and who could blame them. I am not sure of the benefits of year round school, but it just doesn't seem like it would make sense to change it now!

Mon May 31, 2004 8:28 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

all the research i've read has indicated that year-round schooling, which was originally intended to counteract the remedial time spent at the beginning of school years because students forget information over the long summer break, actually doesn't serve its purpose. the constant breaks throughout the year include loss of information on the students' part, and when all the days of remediation throughout the year are added together, they're no fewer than those used all at once in traditional-calendar schools. from the personal stories i've heard, many students actually like year-round schooling, but only if they get on a "good track" and only if their friends are also on that track.

the other advantage occurs when schools offer enrichment experiences like trips or intensive art or science festivals during the breaks, but these are expensive and usually optional, so not all students benefit from them.

child-care, and having more than one child from the same family on different tracks are also pitfalls of the year-round model.

it's virtually impossible to do with high school because so much of the high school experience is the extra-curricular stuff that goes on like sports, and those can't exist with the random two-week breaks.

the only REAL benefit seems to be that school districts can cram more students into one school building and alleviate some of the overcrowding we have in our public schools, but that leaves teachers without permanent classrooms and kids without permanent lockers.

i guess you can tell, i'm pretty much against it.

Mon May 31, 2004 10:39 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]