View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:50 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Daily Grind 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In the Daily Grind, it talks about the constant, unchanging environment in the classroom. The student becomes extremely familiar with the context. I think students need changes everyday. They need a unique, well-rounded context in the classroom. What do you think?

Wed May 26, 2004 10:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree and disagree. Yes children do need change to keep them all from falling out of their chairs from complete boredom. But on the other hand if they do not have some sort of structure that occurs everyday then they feel like they are a bunch of chickens with their heads chopped off. I think that they feel more secure if they know that the same thing is going to happen each day. They need to know that when they come in they have something assigned for them to do, they need to know that their daily routine is the same. But at the same time the same old routine will get old so you as the teacher can do something to spice it up to make it more interesting while showing the kids that yes I changed a little part of what you normally do but we are still going to have the same outcome.

Thu May 27, 2004 7:25 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree, Allison. Routine and security are vital, but if things are endlessly predictable boredom is sure to result.

I believe that studies have shown that a child needs stability in their life - and if they are not getting that at home, they especially need to get it at school. I have also heard from teachers that when the schedule changes - say a 2 hour delay or an assembly - that it really throws off the class.

Thu May 27, 2004 8:20 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As a secondary ed major I have to approach this topic slightly differently. Elementary classrooms always have the set structure in them, which I feel is necesary to give orderliness in children's lives. I do feel that things can be changed around some to prevent falling into boredom, and especially support altering the classroom environment, even though this article said that was a hopeless effort to change the fact that children are in a "jail" of sorts. With high school history I fully intend to changes things around constantly. I mean, seriously, how many of you hated history because it was the same old approach every day? Sure, I'll have a schedule of sorts, like attendance and test days, etc., but fully intend on changing both my approach to the subject and the physical environment frequently. By the time kids hit high school they need to be challenged with new approaches and methods, and my goal is to keep history interesting and maintain curiousity. I will assume that the students have already experienced enough structure to understand its purpose and its need.

Fri May 28, 2004 10:10 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do agree with all of you that kids do need some structure in the environment. Teachers should spice things up in the classroom as well. I agree with you Natalie that there should be different methods and approaches to what we teach. This makes it interesting and fun for the kids.

Fri May 28, 2004 2:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that children need security and self-discipline, and sometimes structure but not that often. I think that a rigid structure is used in classrooms because often the children are not being taught to be self-disciplined at home. I actually think that a certain amount of daydreaming is healthy. I plan on homeschooling my children, and not having a schedule so "set" that they are entirely bored.

Fri May 28, 2004 5:09 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]