View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Who is a teacher? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have been wrestling with this issue for awhile and I was wanting some different perspectives on it.. who/what is a teacher?

As I responded earlier, it seems that the teacher is the person who got a teaching degree and works in a school system and gets paid for that service. All the educaiton problems are due to the "teacher" like they are the scapegoat for all that is wrong with our youth. Have we forgot of the years before kindergarten.. the parents/grandparents/family are the teacher and they don't just up and disappear when a child goes to school. Don't we need to share the responsiblity with them as professionals?

Just a thought and one that I need help justifying as a future teacher who will be facing the pressure of balancing my responsiblity without loosing my job or stepping on the toes of families and cultures I will be teaching.

linda

Thu May 27, 2004 8:38 am
All-star
All-star

To me I think of a teacher in a broader way. I think a teacher is anyone who shares information with others for the benefit of others. This could include teachers, parents, clergy, or even other students

Thu May 27, 2004 9:38 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the teachers in a child's early life are the parents, grandparents, friends, and siblings. Children first learn in the home. The lessons and values they learn are brought with them to school. The teachers are there to help and educate the children, while instilling more lessons and values into their lives. I agree with you Linda that the teacher should not be blamed for everything.

Thu May 27, 2004 10:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I totally agree with you on that one Linda. Teachers definitely have so much pressure put on them. If something goes wrong with a child's education, parents turn straight to the teachers most of the time and say it's their fault. Parents have just as much of a responsibility as teachers to work with their children. It must start at a young age. Parents have to give their children praise and recognition or a child will just push their education to the side. If parents don't take time out of their schedules to work with their children on their homework and assignments, then children will see that from day one and think, Well if they don't make time for it why should I?

Fri May 28, 2004 1:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Teachers are like art, what defines it is in the eye of the beholder. Children, students, adults, everyone is taught throughout their lives, from, some say, before birth until the day they die, maybe even after that. A teacher can be a mother or father, a family member, a friend, a professional who has learned knowledge, ideas, and thought from others. A teacher can be nature, animals, growth, experience, life. It's definition should not be limited to a person in a classroom. The world is our playground, but the universe is our school.

Sat May 29, 2004 11:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that the most valuable "teachers" in a child's life are usually his family, friends, school teachers, community, church, etc. Basically, everything that a person goes through (be it good or bad)- every experience, every friend, every family member, every person that he/she looks up to teaches that person something. Everything that a child learns is important because it molds exactly who they are and their beliefs. The home life of a child obviously plays a huge role in their lives, and every childs home life is different. I think that is one of the reasons that teaching is so very challenging. I feel that teachers are responsible for doing all that they can for their children, but you cannot always "win" with every situation.

Sun May 30, 2004 3:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

A teacher is anyone with any kind of knowledge that they can pass onto someone else. All of us are teachers of some sort already because everytime we explain something to someone we become their teacher. Teachers are wonderful because we have the ability to shape someone, to help them grow and prosper into something wonderful as well.

Mon May 31, 2004 10:58 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

“The Courage to teach is the courage to keep one’s heart open in those very moments when the heart is asked to hold more than it is able so that the teacher and students and subject matter can be woven into the fabric of community that living and learning require.”

I read this book "the Courage to Teach" by parker palmer, thats what I think a teacher is, someone who has the courage to try. :)

Mon May 31, 2004 11:32 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

teaching is definatly everyone's responsibility and wheather we like it or not it happens. However no one want to take the blame and some how I don't think parents, grandparents, siblings, ect. will majicly stop blaming us the 'teachers' for their children's follies.

Mon May 31, 2004 1:33 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think a teacher is a person who is supposed to make a positive difference in their students' lives. A teacher is a role model for successful education. She/he must bring motiviation into the school system and to students' personal lives. I know that I want to be the kind of teacher whom my students admire and respect without setting so many rules and regulations. A teacher must provide a setting which is comfortable and inviting in the classroom.

Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that a teacher is any person who imparts knowledge that they possess onto another human. The scary aspect of such a cold definition is that even bad people are teachers. Without realizing it or wanting the power, everyone will influence/teach someone else something in their lifetime. It is up to us, as proffesional educators, to ensure that teaching as a generic term is never thought of in a negative light. Tough challenge, huh?

Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

A teacher can be anyone from an Aunt to a classmate. Anyone who we learn from, learn anything from, is a teacher in my book. While I have been formally taught by people called teachers that stood up in front of the class, i have also learned life lessons from my best friends and my family. I've even learned them from people I don't know and don't like. A teacher can be anyone. I believe everyone is a teacher in one way or another.

Mon Jun 21, 2004 5:16 pm
Profile WWW
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 12 posts ]