View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:34 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Blaming teachers 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After reading what some of us have written about what a teacher is and the "No Child Left Behind" I have just been wondering why it is that teachers often get all the blame when something goes wrong with a child's education??? Why don't people look towards other things in the life of the child that could affect their learning, such as what is the parent doing to help that child learn? Why isn't some of the "blame" put on the parents instead of on the teacher saying that they are bad because some of their students are failing?? I just do not think that it is the teacher's fault that something goes wrong in the classroom as far as learning if he/she is doing the job they are put there to do.

Fri May 28, 2004 7:08 am
All-star
All-star

Teachers are like the middleman in any exchange. It is much easier to blame them than to accept some of the responsibility yourself for the less than adequate way students are turning out. Parents need to become more involved with their children. At the very least they must be willing to speak up when problems are seen in the performance of their children. I believe that more emphasis needs to be placed on the administrators to ensure that the proper curriculums and programs are in place. How can we as teachers effectively teach when we are told to do something that is not correct, and as we have seen, we will do it for the most part, all the way until death. Why would I shift the blame? The parents should take an active role in the education of their own children, and the administrators are paid at levels that require positive results.

Fri May 28, 2004 7:35 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Teachers get the blame for so much of what goes wrong with a child's education. I think that as teachers we need to make an attempt to get every student's parent/guardian involved. If they are actively involved in the process then there will be less reason for any blame at all, and if blame is placed all variables are considered. As teachers we need to make the effort to form a relationship with the parents. If we gain their trust then things should run a lot more smoothly. I would say to teachers not to take the issue personally. Not many parents are willing to blame their child, so don't expect them too, just take the criticism and keep on teaching!!!

Mon May 31, 2004 8:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that it is easier to blame the teacher because that is who the parents are going to look to first. Most parents are not going to want to admit that they are a reason why their child is doing poorly. Some parents of children with disabilities do not want to admit that their child has a disability. It is easier to blame the teacher than to blame yourself or realize that your child is not 'perfect'.

Mon May 31, 2004 9:28 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]