View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:01 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 "grades" 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I've noticed that several of these readings criticize grouping students according to age. What do you guys think about this? Why do you think that this is such an issue? It seems that integrating ages (I'm definitely thinking especially elementary school) would be a mess because of the vast difference in intellectual and emotional development that even a year makes... how would you do that anyway? What alternative is there to this that wouldn't involve ability grouping? (I guess that's sort of what Montessori is....) :? I can see how some combined experiences could be helpful to older and younger students, but it seems that only having combined experiences could make things difficult....

Fri May 28, 2004 7:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Kaci, I agree that integrating ages, especially at the elementary level would be a disaster. I know that from my experience, I would not have been able to learn in a class where I was with older students, especially in middle school where age and status is so critical. Most younger students would be hesitant to offer their opinions and would be intimidated to speak out and participate in class.

Mon May 31, 2004 8:59 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with both of you. I think a good way to interact with older/younger students would be to involve them in peer tutoring but not in the same classroom all day long. I do not however agree with ability grouping.

Mon May 31, 2004 9:15 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 3 posts ]