View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:53 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Ability grouping 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do believe that ability grouping is more for the high tracked students than the low tracked students. However, it is a disadvantage to both groups of students. It limits the opportunities for positive relationships to be developed across all groups of students. Not only this but I think it degrades the low tracked students. They are seen as "dumb" compared to the high tracked students. I do not think ability grouping is helpful to anyone except for children with special needs at different levels. What do you all think? :D

Mon May 31, 2004 1:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you Mandy. I am going to be doing my student teaching in a resource room at Parkway Elementary. We will only see the kids for an hour or an hour and a half at a time so we need to ability group them on their level. Otherwise they would not receive the attention that they need because the time is so short. I think that ability grouping is needed Sometimes.

Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:12 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree girls, ability grouping is needed. In order for children to gain the attention, instruction, and extra push they may need they must be grouped with people along their same level. With this said, however, what about learning being a social interaction and using different ability levels to teach each other. ZPD and scaffolding I feel are key in helping students learn the tasks at hand and skills for life.

linda

Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:06 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Mandy. I think that ability tracking may be needed only to give a little special attention to all students and to help them set and achieve higher goals. However, I think strict tracking and seperating students in order of their ability is wrong and ultimately hurts the students academic progress. 8)

Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:16 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 4 posts ]