View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:34 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 15 posts ] 
 Implementing Debate in the Classroom 
All-star
All-star

The video about the debate team and how it changed students perspectives about school was very interesting to me. However, when they were discussing implementing debate into all classrooms, I began thinking about my own school experience. I know there were some classes in which debate was a part of it. Many students hated those classes because they did not like to talk in class. I don't think that debate should be a part of a classes that students would be forced to participate in. Some people just do not like to speak in front of people and would sincerely be a nervous wreck if they were being forced to. I think it could be presented as an option, but not as something students would be forced in to.

Mon May 31, 2004 6:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think debates are a good way for students to research and be exposed to both sides of an issue. However, like Emily I am terrified to speak in class more or less debate an issue where people will be firing back at me. I get nervous and I know many people who do too. Things are fun and interesting if its not forced or required on students.

The debate team is good, but I think the key to making it successful was for it to be an extra activity that they chose to be a part of, not another requirement in a class that they felt was irrelevant to their own lives.

Linda Brock

Mon May 31, 2004 6:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Linda, I agree completely that it would be best if offered as an extracurricular activity instead of in the classroom. Some students, if they chose to participate, would really gain from the debate team, others would be encouraged to find an extracurricular activity that they would feel comfortable doing. :lol:

Mon May 31, 2004 7:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with what everyone is saying. Debate should not be forced, it should be something that is extracurricular. I hate to speak out in front of the whole class. I have gotten to where I do it sometimes but I normally limit my comments to small group discussions, but that is still very rare. I was never forced to debate in any of my classes and I really believe that I would have stayed at home if I was told it would be part of the class one day. A lot of kids don't want to speak their mind, let alone debate over an issue, in front of all of their peers.

Mon May 31, 2004 7:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also feel the same way. I do not like to debate in class, even if I feel strongly about a subject. There are some things in life I feel so strongly about that debating the subject will do nothing to change my views. I might see another person's reasons for their oppinion but that is about all I gain from it. I think that it should be something that you choose to do if you like it. But it could also help some students get over their fear of speaking in public.

Mon May 31, 2004 8:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I had a class here at this University that was like a debate class. Our grade was determined by how much we spoke up during class. I still think that was the dumbest idea I have ever heard of because some people are just more naturally inclined to speak up and start discussions in class and some people are more inclined to sit back and listen, which is how I am.

Mon May 31, 2004 9:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

hmmm well obviously i like to talk in class :oops: i think it's probably the only way i can stay engaged in long classes like this one... but i also always wondered what students thought who didn't speak up in class. i was always excited to get to hear a quiet person's perspective when we broke into smaller groups.

did you guys know that public speaking is often something people fear even MORE than death? i think that's very interesting and pretty sad. i know that i have a relatively different attitude towards public speaking than those who have posted so far on this topic, but i think it's ABSOLUTELY necessary for people to get in front of a group and speak. in fact, i plan on asking all of my students in my english classes to do it in some manner i think it's so important.

perhaps a debate is not the best way to conquer fears of public speaking since students already feel attacked by their opponent, and they might be even more intimidated if they have to go up against someone who is very good at public speaking, but i think that to allow people to go through school, and life, without pushing their limits and asking them to step outside their shells is letting them down. many students have trouble reading or doing math but we make them do it anyway, many students are terribly afraid of tests and have horrible test-anxiety, but we teach them how to cope and we ask them to take tests anyway, why should something like public speaking be any different?

i guess i do tend to be devil's advocate, but this is really how i feel about this topic :?

Mon May 31, 2004 10:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that debates in classes are healthy and good learning experiences for students in middle and high school because it promotes becoming comfortable standing up in front of people and giving a personal opinion. However, in my high school experience, there are some people who can get too emotional about certain subjects and take other people's opinions to heart. This only puts this person on the definsive and they are unlikely to even pretend to try to listen to anyone else.
I think that having classes that are just for debate and that are optional to students would be a great thing to have as maybe a class after "Public Speaking". I think it would further a persons interest in the activity and help with their "stage fright".

Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:22 am
All-star
All-star

Thats a good idea Elyse. I took a public speaking class in community college and it helped me with my stage fright very much. It would be good to implement this type of class in public schools as well because being able to speak in public is something that is pretty much all students will have to do at some point.

Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:52 am
Site Admin

I just wanted to mention that a key aspect of the debate video we watched is that each student prepares BOTH sides of each issue before they ever debate it. This style of debate isn't about their opinion, but about their ability to build and sustain a credible argument.

Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:56 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also took a public speaking class at school and I never would have taken it if I didn't have to. I transferred from Western Carolina my sophmore year and it was required there so I took it at the community college near my hometown. I was still terrified and I even knew the teacher very well. While I feel like the class helped me, I still HATE to talk outloud in class unless it is something I feel strongly about..and even then I may not say something. I had signed up for an ethics class and the first day i realized it was a debate class...i dropped it! i hate when teachers require you to talk...whether or not i know the information..it still doesn't make me any more comfortable..especially if i'm forced into doing it. i'd much rather talk on my own then feel i have to..that way it is more beneficial to me.

Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:15 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

I personally like debate. I think it is also a valuable experience in the classroom. You learn to consider both sides and get a chance to express yourself verbally without being shut down, instead you hear all the possibilites and get thinking. You also learn that your voice is important and that you may have stronger feelings about certain issues than you thought. I really like debate in college, I get especially interested in the conversations and take notes even, some people that never or rarely speak develope a passion to say something!

Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:40 pm
All-star
All-star

Part of what we have talked about is the need for a good education to help inspire our young people to become active citizens. The uncomfortable feelings that people may have because of public speaking can be overcome. If there is a topic on which you feel very strongly about you may find that you are more willing to discuss the issue as opposed to silence. For those of you afraid to get up in front of a classroom, are you headed in the correct career path? Confident speakers are not going to learn from some timid recluse hiding behind a desk.

Sun Jun 06, 2004 5:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I, like a few others, took part in debate in high school. As far as helping me overcome my fears of standing in front of people, it helped alot byt more so it helped me to be able to consider the other sides of arguments. By having to rpepare both sides of a debate you learn that there is always another story usually backed by good evidence. It makes you think about the pros and cons of situations. Debate also helped me to be able to back up what I say with more than a "because I think so" as well as helping me not take discussions in classes personally. It was an all around good learning experience.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:54 am
All-star
All-star

Steve, I could not agree with you more. There is no way to overcome the fear of speaking in front of people like getting up there and just doing it. It is important for us as teachersto teach our students to be confident and be able to express their views whether they are in a one-on-one situation or in a group setting. I believe that debating in class could be a very useful tool in helping our students understand and deal with current issues.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 11:08 am
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 15 posts ]