View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:02 am

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Lynchings 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Did anyone else find the pictures and video of the lynchings disturbing? I had a hard time figuring out what the man on the video was saying, so I went back to the picture gallery and looked at several of them and read about them, but I had to make myself stop not even halfway through. Who would want to watch or partake in burning to death another human being? It made me feel sick. :oops:

Mon May 31, 2004 7:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I couldn't get the movie to work so I did not get to see it. But did you notice that there were pictures from North Carolina. It really seems more personal when you see your state participating. One of our pictures was the worst.

Mon May 31, 2004 8:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The pictures were rather disturbing. I could not believe that people were happy about standing in the background of such horrible acts of torture and murder.

Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:08 pm
All-star
All-star

I think in today's standards and probably even in the day standards when the pictures were taken the lynchings were barbaric in nature. However, this was a form of capitol punishment. On the pictures and discriptions on the pics the people in the photographs were convicted of crimes that carried a death sentence.

Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:14 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also found the pictures to be disturbing. I could not look through all of them because it was sad and depressing. I do not see how people can be tortured like this. I do not see how people have the consciousness to torment and kill people. To me, it is awful. :(

Thu Jun 03, 2004 4:18 pm
All-star
All-star

I couldn't even look at many of the pictures. I understand that we shouldn't judge them as if it were today because they lived differently and everything...but I honestly cannot understand how that was accepted and people actually enjoyed watching ppl be lynched. It is awful.

Sun Jun 06, 2004 11:37 am
Site Admin

Lynchings have nothing to do with lawful punishment. The people who were lynched were "tried" by a mob, and lynched by mob.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 12:43 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I could only make it through a couple of the photos and I felt sick to my stomach. Who would be that cruel???? And WHY would you want to watch that happen to another HUMAN???? I know that those people had none of the entertainment that we have today and there are a lot of violent movies and TV shows but that is just too much. What those people stood there and watched is far from being entertainment.

Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:36 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 8 posts ]