View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:35 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 changing social class 
All-star
All-star

I just wanted to see what everyone thought about whether or not it was possible to change your social class. I think the answer to that is dependent on what actually defines a social class, which I cannot decide.

I was watching the news tonight and one of the stories is that someone called the most recent American Idol (Fantasia) trashy and low class...or something to that effect. My point being, if wealth determines one's social class then she should be upper class now that she is definitely very rich. However, I believe (and this example supports my opinion) that much more plays into one's place in society. Obviously the fact that she is black, "uneducated", has a child but no husband, and had no prestigious career makes her "low class" to some people. But what are your opinons?

I just found this interesting because I am obsessed with reality television and it related to what we talked about today!

Mon May 31, 2004 9:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yeah Jenny I agree, kind of like we talked about today in class. No matter how much money or prestige you have, you can't change where you come from. Some people say that that should not be included in determining social class, but I think it should be. Another example is like the Beverly Hillbillies. They have billions and live in a nice house, but eat roadkill and brew moonshine in the backyard. I just don't think you can change who you are no matter how much you change on the outside.

Mon May 31, 2004 9:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you both, you cannot change social class (very easily). You can possibly change class but it takes years of trying to do so. I never really thought about social class until this class and now that I look back on my years in school I can see where it was and how it affected everyone around them. You can buy expensive clothes and flaunt money around but if you do not already "belong" it is very hard for people to accept you into their social circle. You can say that you are upper class but if you are not already in that circle you really can't say that you are. But if you really don't care about social circles or being around people like you then you can jump social classes in a heartbeat because what matters is what you think but the people around you may or may not agree with you.

Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:27 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that is is an exception, not the rule, when people are truly able to separate themselves from the class in which they were raised. It is generally a cycle. I DO have a friend who did not want to be of the low class she was raised, so she joined the navy and completely separated herself from that class, and is now definitely of the middle class. Having said that, I don't witness that a lot. Take the woman in the film. She married into the upper class and learned everything needed to know in order to fit in and become that level. But she didn't fit in- she continued to separate herself from the rich, almost making fun at their requirements. She noticed all the subtle differences between the rich and her prior class, which wouldn't have happened had she completely blended in. Sure, she fits in and is seemingly even accepted as upper class, but she still sees herself as someone different. Sorry if that's confusing but it was easier to verbally describe in my group!

Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:46 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Our society is so quick to judge people, but I think Fantasia has really proved herself and what she is capable of achieving. I get into reality television too and I have watched Fantasia on her journey. If anyone can look at Fantasia and not see the passion she shares in what she is doing, then that is not class within itself. Someone can definitely have class and not have a lot of money. I don't think it's so much as what class we are in, but how much class we with hold in ourselves. Also, it is important how our class affects other people.

Tue Jun 01, 2004 11:02 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yeah....Jenny, I totally agree with you. It all depends on what social class is. I do think that money has a lot to do with it, which is sad. If money is a key factor, then yeah you can move up in class. However, I think there are many factors that determine social class. I believe you will always have the social class you are born with. I agree with you Natalie that somebody can fit into a certain class but that they may not belong in that class.

Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:43 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 6 posts ]