View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:34 pm

This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 looking-glass hypothesis 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

today in class, we were talking about social class and what it is that decides which class one is put into. it reminded me of the one and only thing i learned in sociology (i'm not a huge sociology fan) which was the "looking-glass hypothesis." it says this:
"i am not who you think i am.
i am not who i think i am.
i am who i think you think i am."
if you think about it, what that really says is that we take other peoples' evaluation of who we are, and we are so worried about what other people think, that we take that as a valid assessment of who we really are. i think this relates to lots of things in life, but it fits in especially well here in the discussion of class. what do you guys think?

Mon May 31, 2004 10:45 pm
Site Admin

Thanks for posting that. I get it now! It's even familiar to me, but in some other forms. What I would say is that identity isn't something that comes from inside us, but that is something that happens between us and other people in the world around us.

Tue Jun 01, 2004 10:03 am
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was reading the looking glass hypothesis and am familiar with it. However, in disagreement with Gayle :), I don't believe that identity is between people, I do believe that it is inside us. As I said in class you are still who you are even if someone doesn't like you or says you are something different. I am Kari, I am not a Spatula.......

Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:24 pm
Site Admin

I actually agree with you, but I'd say that identity is something that "happens" between people. That doesn't have to mean that I don't get to "push back" regarding who I am, or radically disagree with someone who tells me I'm a spatula. But I can't make the person who thinks I'm a spatula go away, nor completely eradicate their influence from the world.

Any further thoughts?

Tue Jun 01, 2004 12:29 pm
Profile WWW
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I guess the looking-glass hypothesis supposes that each person cares enough of what they think that other people think about them to actually become that personality... but for me at least, thats not true. I don't often think "I wonder what he/she thinks about me" because I don't base my personality on it. I don't have anything to worry about, because I try to be friendly to everyone and very positive. So, who I am is basically a reflection of my ideals, and those who truly care about me will let me know and those who don't I dont worry about. (I'm not sure if that makes sense, but that's the only way I can figure to put it into words). 8)

Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:14 pm
This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.   [ 5 posts ]